Thursday, April 7, 2016

4/7/16 My Fitness Pal, New Favorite App?

    I have been out of control since last summer, like I've been waiting to be put on the diabetes list, eating sweets like it's the last time I will.  Wife found this app she has been using on her phone.  It keeps track of what you eat and what exercises you are doing.  It seems to be great, so far.  I'm not usually impressed by things, but she took my phone entered my initial weight (409) as of 1.5 weeks ago.  It determined I need 2400 calories a day.  It can go up, depending on exercise effort.  The goal, to me, is to leave calories unused, which is theoretically the weight you are cutting off.  This in itself was a huge wake-up call, suddenly everything I put in my mouth has a list of calories and fat and sugar.  I love the fact that every day is a plot point on a chart.  I can go back and look at what I am eating.
    I am not changing drastically what we eat right now.  Yesterday, we had lunch at Fuddrucker's, today, Wife and I ate at Rosa's Tortilla Factory.  The app recognizes the restaurants and for example, the nachos I had with beef and cheese have 709 calories.  This is a good amount of calories, but to make sure I don't surpass my limit, I went in to work and walked a mile, which adds 245 calories back to the beginning total.  For dinner, I still have 1600 calories I can use, but Wife bought some salmon which says it has less than 500 calories with broccoli on the side.
    I don't know if I will eat anything else, but I should be leaving another 1000 calories on the table, which is starting to look good.  I am re-motivated to walk, I had been walking 4 miles a night at work about a year ago.  I am back up to three.  Since Wife has been on app longer, she says after awhile it will reconfigure and reduce the calories you can have per day, since with time, you are a smaller person, if it is working.  I feel like I have been awoken, finally.  Knowing all the junk food we have laying around the house will affect the numbers negatively, I don't dare start cleaning out the candy bowl, and I haven't felt like I am missing out.  Wife had a simple goal of us losing 10 pounds before we go to Disney here in June.  I have already lost 10 lbs in a week and a half of paying attention to what I ingest.
    I know I have to stay focused because as fast as I can swing in one direction, I could also sit over one weekend and put on 20 pounds, it seems that is how I ended up here on the north side of a 54 inch waist and over 400pounds.  I would love to get into some size 48 waist shorts during the summer, and possibly back down to a 42 by next summer, if at all possible.  Right now, all I can do is say thanks Wife, that app might be the real deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment