Wednesday, April 20, 2016

4/20/16 Reciprocity, Or You Scratch Mine, I Scratch Yours?

    I was just listening to some of the songs from Chicago, and I love the number from Queen Latifah, who plays Mama (the warden).  The song is titled "When You're Good To Mama, Mama's Good To You", and starts
Ask any of the chickies in my pen
they'll tell you I'm the biggest mother hen
I love them all and all of them love me
because the system works
the system called reciprocity

    Is this such a bad system to live by?  I do for you, you do for me.  How come when it is an exchange between a man and a woman, the woman can be left feeling like a whore?  How come money seems to have a reduced benefit in this bartering system?  I have always been overly generous, with my time and money.  I've helped out friends more than anyone has really helped me, luckily, I've always been in a better position, mostly thanks to my family, early in life.
    Take one of my roommates in college.  I had a truck, he did not.  I never made it a big deal, I was always ready to accommodate his schedule, he gave me for gas, but really, when you drive, you're a taxi, but anyways.  His last semester, he finally got a car, and the one time he was going to drive me back home, well, he was in a hurry, he couldn't wait for me to get out of my lab in the evening.  I drove him around for 2.5 years, I don't think I even rode in his car once.
    How about all of Boy's friends.  I don't know if Del Valle is allergic to men who marry and stay married, but 99% of his friends had the single mama trying to make it on her own.  I played daddy or at least yelled at those boys and made them a tad better human beings just by being around me.  I got a thanks here and there, but how about a cake, make a dinner in my honor?  An offer of a bj would at least prove you care.  What, I take your kids all over the country, you can't show me a boob, I say boo!
    The examples are endless, I do for people, they say thanks, then disappear.  I should just stop being Mr. Nice Guy, as I am seeing the meek shall inherit squat.  It is time for some neck tattoos and a bad attitude, scare the freeloaders away.  If you want something from me, "what you got, that a feller might want?"
    I totally feel this song:
they say that life is tit for tat
and that's the way I live
so I deserve a lot of tat
for what I got to give

No comments:

Post a Comment