Friday, April 29, 2016

4/30/16 Equality Is Confusing Chubs?

    Chubs was talking to me after school today (Thursday) about one of his friends getting in trouble with his teacher.  The little boy was holding court explaining that men do all the real work and so on and on.  Of course, the teacher cut him off and explained that men and women can do the same jobs.  I know both Wife and Mom are gonna give me crap, as both are kind of strong women who take no shit, but I disagree.
    I told Chubs it is only recently that jobs have become more cerebral that yes, men and women can do the same jobs.  If we go back 50 to 100 years when things were more physical, it was a man's world.  I did also mention that women were just not allowed to work out of the house, so maybe that made it a little unfair.  I cannot imagine women working on those skyscrapers, when New York was booming with all those tall buildings first getting built.  Men were disposable, they would fall off all the time, and simply replaced by the next unemployed schmuck.  Same story with the building of any large project, like Hoover Dam.  Over 100 men died in the four years it took to complete.
    Even today, there are jobs that could be done by both, but come on.  If you are passed out in a burning building, would you prefer a beefy dude to break the door down and possibly carry you out or do you want the twit who needs to carry a Chihuahua to the store to show up and render aid?  Extending this a little more unfairly, to the sport of football.  I only do this because Wife fought to get herself on the team in junior high, before I met her to knock some sense into her.  Great, she was on the team, what does that mean?  She didn't do it because she loves football, still doesn't know how many "innings" in a game.  She needed to prove how tough she was, why?  Maybe in junior high she was still as big as the smaller boys, but it is just in our DNA, men are bigger and faster.  How did that make her brother feel, who didn't get to play football because he messed up his legs goofing around and took a bad fall from a second story staircase?
    Nowadays, with most jobs being done indoors, with our comfy A/C, sure we are equals.  I respect my coworkers who are mostly women.  His teachers are mostly women, and I prefer it that way, men wanting to be around kids strike me as a little suspect. 
    But if we are going to live in a world of all of us being equals, y'all would be comfortable with Mija getting called for the draft, just like Mijo?  Not just the ugly girls, but all, pink bows and pom-poms included.  I know the draft doesn't exist, but I remember having to send info to the government when I turned 18.  The girls in my class were not doing that to my knowledge.
    Can we let chivalry die too?  How about whoever is closer to the door gets it for themselves and whoever is coming along.  I can't recall any chick ever holding the door for me.  Are guys still supposed to run around the car and open the door for their female companions?

No comments:

Post a Comment