Sunday, April 17, 2016

4/17/16 Girlie Moved Out?

    Two weeks ago, Girlie asked if she could stay with us for a couple weeks.  Her lease with her aunt had ended, and she was going to move in with her folks in a couple weeks when their place was ready.  Her folks have been staying with an aunt which is fine, if not super crowded.  After coming back from South Carolina, they were a little shocked to see how much prices have escalated here, but ultimately found a 4 bedroom apartment for $1400/month.
    Yesterday, she was telling me how much she loves living in our house.  It is quiet, there aren't a bunch of kids running around screaming.  She gets home after work and Wife has made dinner and she cooks great stuff.  She loves the bed, saying it is so comfortable I sat here when I got home from work and I haven't gotten up, I haven't even changed.  She said the last mattress she was sleeping on belonged to her cousin and it felt like sleeping on cardboard over springs.  Then Wife was showing her how to use the remote to pull up shows "on demand" which was just blowing her mind.
    The guest room downstairs is full of her stuff.  This is the second time she has stayed with us.  About two years ago she stayed with us for almost two months, after her folks had moved out of state and before her aunt was ready with the place they stayed at.  She has always been comfortable with us, and even all the way back to high school, she would walk over here (because we are about across the street from the area high school) and if she brought new friends introduce us to her friends as her aunt and uncle.
    We actually have two empty "guest rooms", so having her stay with us would be no problem, but people need to pay rent, and our going rate is too rich for her.  My brother stayed with us and he paid $600 which we deemed fair, looking at how much he used to pay for rent ($400), then light, internet,  washer/dryer, Wife provided some dinners, and whatever other extras.  She was paying $350 with her aunt, which was so low because they were splitting the rent by like 5 people, even if they all didn't have their own rooms.
    I have never understood that, as I have always had my own room.  I insist my boys not share their bedroom situation ever.  Boy moved out, but I only ok'd it when he said he would have his own room and bathroom.  He is currently looking for a new place for next year, and I say he needs to have his own room.  We need privacy at times throughout the day, and the only way to guarantee that is by having your own room.
    We shall see if this arrangement works for them.  They are already talking about moving somewhere else in a couple years, which Girlie said she would go with them next time.  I find it exhausting to live this way.  If you don't put roots down, you never have stability.  As much as it sounds exciting to live here and there, I will hold my ground and be a rock for my family, as long as I am needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment