Tuesday, December 6, 2022

12/5/22 Medical Shears?

     Just when I think we shouldn't need anything else from Amazon, a new thing pops up.  Mijo, now gets his ankle and knees wrapped more often than ever before, especially when he forgets his knee brace, even for practice.  Last night was maybe the third time he has asked for help to remove the tape and it is harder than one would think.  First off, the wrapping is extremely tight and well done.  It is almost like a cast in thickness, with all the rolls of tape going round and round.

    He has asked for help a couple times, to get out of his taped situation and it seems easy enough.  I grabbed the scissors in the kitchen, the ones we use to cut chickens and stuff, and they don't really want to cut tape.  I have several boxcutters all around, but they aren't perfect either.  The point of the scissors had him yelling at me that I was cutting into him and the exposed blade of the boxcutters just makes me feel like I will eventually hurt my own boy.  I figured the best solution would be to go to the internet and find the best cutters so far,

    I settled on a pair of Leatherman Shears, which I have had a couple of knives from Leatherman, so I know the quality is there.  Still, I looked at several videos before placing my order last night and I think I chose correctly.  These shears are maybe thicker than the normal cheap varieties, but if they are going to be mine, I really prefer to own good quality tools.  I also ordered a Shark tape cutter, which has an opening with a blade on the inside and this is just pushed forward through the tape for it to do its job.  I don't know if this is just a gimmick or an actual tool, but I figured I would try it for the $20 it costs.

    The Leatherman is closer to $90, but I plan to carry it in the car, it is a multi-tool with a seatbelt cutting blade, along with many other little life saving features.  The thought of cutting Mijo's leg worried me too much as I ended up using the boxcutter last night to get through all the tape he had wrapped around his ankle to care about the cost, in the moment.  I am still not 100% sure why all these medical shears have that weird 45-degree angle in the blade, but it must be important, because too many scissors exist with this look to them.  If I can use them and not worry about cutting Mijo, consider me a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment