Saturday, December 31, 2022

12/25/22 Christmas Day?

     The best part of Christmas this year was probably that it was cold, like in the teens throughout the night and the low 30s all weekend.  Other than that, it was a very bland holiday.  Wife and I don't really exchange gifts, although we have been talking about going and getting a new vehicle, so we could count that as a new family gift if we go ahead and pull the trigger on a new vehicle purchase.  The only one who got anything exciting was Baby A, who Santa bought him a new PS5, but even that was just meh.  We had gotten it around Thanksgiving time on a random weekend, Best Buy had a few, it's not like we were fighting crowds to get one like some of the other gaming systems in the past.  Mijo came down Christmas morning, I was down in the kitchen drinking my coffee and he gave me a hug, looked at his stuff, and just decided to go back to bed, didn't even touch his pile of stuff.

    I was more or less volunteered to make a brisket for Christmas, and honestly, we just went to the store too early to make everything work. because of the impending cold freeze coming.  We probably have 2-3 briskets in our freezer at any time, but since this was potentially just going to be us three, I wanted a smaller 6-7 pounder and one that wouldn't be frozen.  We went to the store Tuesday or Wednesday, but we bought so much stuff to survive, that the brisket had to go in the freezer, it wouldn't fit in the refrigerator.  Come Christmas eve, I just didn't think about the brisket and it needing to thaw, Wife was baking a ham, and all sorts of other finger foods.  I then remembered it should thaw and took it out early in the morning, but it was almost too late to have it thaw out naturally.  I have seen videos that one can smoke a brisket from frozen, so I tried it after having it that maybe two hours.

    In the end, the brisket came out gummy or chewy, the flavor was fine, it was nice and flavorful, but the bite was a mess.  We keep having arguments over that.  Wife says I need to choose fattier briskets, but I prefer them lean, even if that means they will not be as fall apart as they should be.  We had Boy and his now fiancée over for dinner, and also DD and his wife and baby over, so for a while, we had decent company.  DD was mostly worried about their apartment being without water, I gave them one of our 5-gallon jugs of water, so they wouldn't have to worry about clean water for the baby and offered them our bathroom if they needed to come and shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment