Wednesday, December 21, 2022

12/20/22 Another Freeze Coming?

     I guess we learned our lesson two years ago about being prepared for a deep freeze as they like to call these freezes that come when cold air escapes the polar vortex, or something to that effect.  Wife is off this week for Christmas break, Mijo starts tonight (Wednesday), and I start on Thursday night, after my shift.  Since Wife was home, we decided to get ahead and go to the store and stock up to get us through the weekend, where we might be forced to stay at home.  I really don't think it'll be that bad, it is supposed to be cold, down to the teens at night, but there is no precipitation with the cold, so it should stay dry, thus the roads will still be open.

    All I know is that I have my portable gas heaters in the house with 30-40 little propane cylinders stored in the house too.  We have at least 4- five-gallon water jugs in the closet, and a freezer with at least a week's worth of meat.  If it gets really bad, we do even have a full-size generator sitting in the house, by the pool table, all I need to do is syphon some gas out of either car and fire it up for some power.  The cold will only last 3-4 days at the most, and it should be getting above freezing every day, according to the forecasts I have seen, so I am not too worried.  One thing I do need to do today is go outside and cover up my two water faucets, so they don't freeze on us and cause problems.

    I am more in shock looking where Girlie just headed back to Indiana, and they will be in a real freeze scenario.  According to the forecast, they will be in the single digits for a high and negative numbers for a low all weekend.  I told Girlie to make sure and go get some food to have something in the house, in case she is trapped in.  I don't even know how they heat their houses, do they rely on central heat, like we do?  Do their houses all have chimneys, or do they run on gas/kerosene burners?  I suggested she go and at least buy a small heater to keep near her, but I don't know if the electricity is reliable over there in cold weather.  My best advice is to talk to the people that live there, her friends and coworkers and see what they do, we were in a hard place with temperatures in the teens two years ago, this idea of single digit highs kind of scares me.

    Oh well, we all do what we can.  I don't know if we are going to see my in-law's on Friday, those were the original plans, but with the weather turning to crap, we might just stay home and do our own thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment