Sunday, December 4, 2022

12/2/22 Another Pit Stop?

     Wife is going to a conference this week in Frisco, Texas.  It is close to Dallas and since she wants to take the Escape, she wanted me to take it in and get the oil changed, and while we did that, also get the inspection done.  I know I had done that a few months ago, but I guess I never put the new sticker on and now I couldn't find it anywhere.  I decided the easiest thing rather than spend my time looking for something that might have gotten thrown away was to go and get a new one.  The third thing she wanted done was to replace the signal light on the left side, earlier just this week, she said she hit a gallon jug or something similar on the highway and it was just hard enough to knock the lightbulb out but not actually break the light socket.

    I took it to Maxwell Ford; it is the closest dealership to our house, and I generally like walking around and looking at the new cars.  I got there around 9:00am, after dropping off Mijo at school and was attended to rather quickly.  After handing the keys and instructions over, I went into the waiting room, and had a cup of coffee.  I have been a bit under the weather, so I hesitated to go out and walk in the drizzle and shitty weather, but eventually I got bored and did.  I love the idea of a new car, but I think with the supply shortages, or whatever excuses they are using, vehicles are just a bit more expensive than they should be.  Still, while walking the salesmen were all coming out in full force, like annoying mosquitos.  I started out nice with "I'm just getting an oil change, I'm good." But by the time the fifth guy came at me and even after telling him I was just waiting for my oil change and I liked my car, it was paid off, and he still was pushing with "well if you want to know what your car is worth..." I finally turned a tad rude, pointed my finger at the building and said flatly "go inside."

    It probably took two hours, but it did only cost me $110 for all three things.  The last time I went to Jiffy Lube for an oil change on the Kia Telluride, it was $145, so this felt like a bargain.  Afterwards, I still needed to go get the sticker after the inspection was done, which makes no sense, they should just have the stickers there, but I went to HEB, they said it had been too many months, so I had to go to the actual office over in East Austin, by our old house.  Man, the homeless population has exploded over there, in the greenbelt areas, where I don't think they can build new housing because it can flood, there were so many trashed out RVs and tents.  

    I finally got my sticker, got home, decided to just install it before I forgot again, and took a picture to show Wife she could get off my butt about getting it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment