Thursday, December 15, 2022

12/13/22 So This Is Christmas?

     I don't know where the time has gone, but man, we haven't even had time to put up a Christmas tree this year.  It honestly doesn't even feel much like Christmas, other than the cool weather.  In years past, we would start obsessing with what to get as gifts for all the people on our lists.  Now, it seems like everyone is grown and there really isn't much to worry about to surprise.

    Boy gave us a list on Amazon of things he could use or finds fun to own.  Baby A asked for the latest gaming system, which isn't even a big deal anymore, this one has been out for about a year, so when we went to Best Buy, they had a few, we just grabbed one and tool it home.  It is sitting in our bedroom waiting for Christmas eve, without much fanfare at all.  Wife never wants anything for the holidays and when we do give her something, she might act all appreciative, but it's never like "wow, this is the greatest gift ever!"

    Wife drove to Frisco (near Dallas) last week with my sister, and on the trip, they discussed gift ideas.  My sister convinced Wife not to go all out, like we have tried in the past.  First off, she said my mom had enough purses, not to get her anymore, sounded insensitive, but maybe that is a discussion I wasn't aware of.  According to her, a little blanket for my dad is all he needs, since he is always cold.  We haven't been exchanging gifts with them for a few years, so the list of gifts just gets shorter and shorter.

    On the other side of the family, there was a similar story, Wife's oldest nephew was working on his list and trying to give us ideas when Wife's sister, his uncle told him "Your ass has a mortgage, "you're grown, you don't get a gift anymore."  On Wife's side, they have taken to just buying gift cards of around $25 and playing games with them, so we all end up getting one.

    I guess at this age, all I really look forward to on Xmas is the snacks, the cookies and sweets.  Yesterday was great at work, my coworker took a variety plate full of cookies, so I enjoyed 1-2 of each kind.  That is something I do get excited about; I will always be glad I've cookies and sweets to look forward to around the holidays, even if I don't get gifts anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment