Tuesday, June 7, 2022

6/7/22 7V7 Football?

     Baby A was suddenly sucked into this little world of 7V7 football, which until today, he had not been a part of.  I don't even know if this is something that has happened in years past, or if this is new and Crockett is forging new ground.  Either way, 7V7 football is mostly just the QB and his receivers going against mostly the secondary.  It was weird for me, sitting there trying to feel some attachment to the team, but without the linemen, the boys Mijo messes around with, it was mostly a team of skinny tall receiver types and their counterparts on defense, such as defensive backs and safeties.  Mijo belongs with the big boys down in the trenches, where they fight for every yard with muscle and force.  I loved the grace and athleticism on display, but without the hits, it started to feel a little like soccer (little joke there).  I feel like I know the team pretty well at this point, but it is really just the big guys, I was having a hard time identifying anyone other than my son and the QB who did get decent playing time last year.

    Mijo was there to hike the ball to the QB, which is good practice, if he is ever called to do it in a game, all of a sudden (he did not have a bad snap in the 3 matches).  The regular center was MIA all day, although he did show up at the end of the first match.  I heard my son yell at him if he wanted to take over his role, but clearly, this other kid was just there to watch.  My boy didn't mind the assignment too much, but it was a long day for him, starting at 9:00am-noon with a weightlifting session, I went and picked him up, brought him home, then took him back at 2:00pm for wrestling practice, until 3:30, then picked him up again, this time, I was almost an hour late trying to finish some stuff at work since I would be taking the rest of the day off(I did tell him to go hang at the Dairy Queen), then home to change and head out to this 7V7 thing, at 6:00pm to 9:00pm.

    The worst part of this was the heat, I don't know what is going on, but it was 108 around 5:30pm, according to the car's temperature reading.  The sun was just frying us out there.  I had an umbrella to try and make some shade, but the players were out there, just standing and running in the sun's full glory.  Luckily, for the parents, the 2nd and 3rd matches were in a proper football field and the bleachers had shade from some trees, it was a lot more tolerable then.

    As far as the product on the field, our boys are looking very good.  Several of these young receivers seem to not be afraid to go out and reach for the ball.  I don't know how much I can talk about specifics, so I won't, but I was worried because we lost a senior QB who was very much the leader of the team, but I think the new guy is adapting to his role, and the team is rallying around him.  They won 2 of the 3 matches, so that was good as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment