Friday, June 17, 2022

6/17/2022 Where's All The Power Grid Worries?

    I hadn't thought about it, but we are halfway through June and last night Girlie came over because the power in her apartment complex turned off.  It got me wondering why we haven't heard about possible power grid failures at any moment, like we were having after the big winter storm of a year ago.  This was a quick and sudden reminder of what life can be like in a world without power.
    Girlie said she had some cousins over and they were just chilling, not doing anything in particular when the power went out all of a sudden.  She had some video on her Snapchat and I agree, it got super dark very quickly.  I guess the whole block around her lost power, including the IHOP there at the end of her neighborhood, by Slaughter and I-35.  She hung around for a bit, thinking the power would come back quickly, but it took longer than she could wait.  She said her cousins hung out while she walked the dogs, then they left (I think there are too many people already living at her cousins that it is easier for her to come over to us).  I felt a little bad for the dogs, we know one of them, the other is new.  She said her boyfriend who works nights, came and picked up the dogs to take to his place.  He did tell her the power came on as he was leaving her apartment, but by then she was probably in the shower here.
    I greeted her downstairs, pointed to where stuff is, she's lived here a few times, she knows the house well enough, and then I went up to bed.
    As of yesterday, we have already had a string of 9 days with above 100-degree days, so we are up and running with a hot summer this year, last year was very mellow, it did not even seem like it was that hot.  I keep looking at the forecast and I see nothing but 100-degree days well into next week, so it just seems like all the days are the same.  We at least have a generator and that portable A/C in the house, if things come to that, although I hope they don't.  I really feel like we should get back to stocking our emergency closet with supplies, in case shit hits the proverbial fan.  We've been a little lacking in focus, but I know we do keep hearing that we are in for a rough time with food shortages and the like.
    All we can really do is survive day to day, and hopefully we get to the other side of this heat and start seeing cooler weather in September.  For now, there is no better feeling than laying down under a blanket in a chilly room and taking a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment