Saturday, April 3, 2021

4/3/21 Taking A Long Country Drive?

     This only makes sense if you grew up in a small town, but back home we would go "country driving", to me it always meant finding a quiet place to do it, but to Wife it was a relaxing drive to see cows and such, I guess.  well, it had been a minute (as the kids say) but we had time to go for a drive on Friday afternoon and boy did we.

    We tried leaving the house early, with Baby A tagging along, but of course, the first thing he NEEDS to do is eat.  We had also offered him a restaurant meal after the wrestling meet on Wednesday, but it was after 9:00pm by the time we left the campus, so it was pretty late.  He held our feet to the fire and requested his restaurant meal, so we went to Cheddar's, which is pretty good and not as expensive as other places.  We ate, but that only made me feel like we had to go back to the house because I always feel like pooping after a meal, so that wasted pretty much the morning.  The squirrel guy was coming at 2:00pm, but the time I was ready to roll it was 1:15pm, so we just kind of sat and waited for our time between 2:00-4:00pm.  Of course, the guy showed up at 3:50pm, so there was a lot of deadtime on our free day.  Fortunately, I can fall asleep in a matter of seconds, so I slept about 1.5 hours while we waited.

    Once the guy came and the traps were set, we were finally free to go.  We headed to Best Buy, it is Easter weekend and Wife wanted something for the boys, but it is getting near impossible to buy them anything anymore, they aren't little so a candy filled basket doesn't impress anyone and dinky toys don't do it either.  I am not giving them money, Boy is making a good salary with no rent, so F that.  We looked around and then left after they both said to get them stuff through Amazon, which is what we should have done.

    We then took off for our drive (Baby A stayed home to write a paper for class and Boy was at work) around 5:30pm.  I thought it would be a bad idea because it was Friday and it was rush hour, but we kind of headed out of town towards Buc-ee's with no clear agenda.  I then suggested Seguin, we have never gone there, so we did.  It is such a different world when you get off I-35 and onto I-10.  There are cars on I-10, but nothing like on I-35.  We drove for maybe 20-30 miles on I-10 towards San Antonio, then back.  It is a primitive world out there, nothing like the corridor between Austin and SA.  There isn't much "country" between the two big cities, even Kyle and Buda are growing, Selma and Schertz make SA feel like it is extending out, then there's New Braunfels and San Marcos.  There isn't a patch that isn't busy with lighting and some project.  Meanwhile, it got dark on us and I mean it got really dark, taking the road between I-10 and I-35, from Seguin to San Marcos, it got a little creepy dark for comfort.  Add to that the stupid speed limit constantly dropping from 35 to 65 and those 18 miles seemed to last an hour.

    Still, it was fun, we got back home by 9:30pm, I had set out some steaks in a 3-pack, of course at night Boy was there, so it 4 of us.  I jokingly told Wife don't worry about Boy, he never eats with us.  She had to call home, he said "I would eat a steak if there was one for me."  I told Wife "fuck him, he never eats with us, I'll heat up some winnies and sausage, he can eat that."  Nope!  We stopped at HEB to get an extra steak, and by the time she was paying, Boy called her to say he was going to go eat with his girlfriend.  She got in the car explaining it was no big deal "we would just cut up his steak and split it between us three."  Someday, the world will listen to me.  We grilled the steaks and watched some TV to end the night.  I believe we were both asleep by midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment