Monday, April 26, 2021

4/26/21 Three Funerals In One Week?

     The world has a way to remind you of reality even when you try to run away to another world, if even for a weekend.  We decided to make a long weekend in Houston after the wrestling tournament, being that we haven't been anywhere since the stupid pandemic.  Things went great for the first day, we went out to the Galleria mall, looked at all sorts of possible stupid things to buy and generally acted like we had the world at our feet.

    At some point, my mom called to say that my sister's mom in law was real sick and she might not make it through the weekend.  This was a sobering thought and reminder that even out there detached from our day to day routines, life finds you and keeps tabs on you.  I guess we enjoyed the wrestling meet for what it was, it really is a flex of the strong, from afar it doesn't always seem like much, but Friday night Baby A was a little riled up and told me "I want to try a move, stand up..."  I always hesitate, but I'm his body dummy when he wants to try a maneuver "I always tell him to stop before he actually throws me."  Even in this simple hold, his arms on my arms, I can feel he is already a lot stronger than me, he can pretty much bowl me over anytime he wishes, so I stopped him as we fell on the bed in the hotel room, basically he is still a puppy discovering his own strength.  That magnified to each individual's strongest potential is what we saw all afternoon since this was a state level tournament.

    The sobering part came the next day as my mom called to say that my sister's mother in law had passed away.  At some point my mom had also told me about my uncle, my dad's older brother, had been in the hospital and wasn't looking too good.  I thought it was good when Mom said he was released on Friday and his hemoglobin counts were up or something like that.  I thought maybe it's just him being sick, he had been fighting cancer for the last 2-3years.  Well, we also got the call that he passed away which my mom was notified while at a prayer for the other death.  This is not easy to handle, and I always seem like the asshole because I live far away and I'm not caught up in all the emotions in the moment, but I did have a connection with my uncle, I worked with him for 3-4 summers roofing and we built a house one summer, so I spent a lot of time with him.  He was a good man who enjoyed teasing us mercilessly in fun but also took a lot of pride in teaching, even as recent as last year, he watched Baby A run and gave him tips to improve, he was all about running, producing 4 all state kids for running in track and field and cross country.

    If all that wasn't enough, Sunday night, around 11:30pm, Girlie texted to let us know her cousin passed away.  He was Boy's first good friend, being the neighbor kid who was close to his age.  He was born with heart problems and I think they finally caught up with him, but at this point, they aren't sure of an exact reason.  This makes three funerals we will possibly be involved with this week, so I don't imagine it to be a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment