Sunday, April 18, 2021

4/19/21 Regional Wrestling On A Saturday? (part 3 of 3)

     The wrestling meet continued Saturday morning but I wasn't sure we had the energy to attend another day of sitting on our fat butts all day watching kids demolish themselves.  Instead, I got up early, at 7:00am, made sure Mijo got up and showered so I could go drop him off.  I dropped him off at 8:30am and headed back home.  I was fairly quiet, knowing Wife likes to sleep in and stayed downstairs writing the first two blogs and looking at stuff on Youtube.  Eventually, Wife texted around 11:00am if I wanted to go to the Domain and walk around (she has had a coupon for a free ice cream and wanted to redeem it).  I got excited because it means we go to Ben Bridge which is about the only place in town that still sells Rolex watches and I am curious if the inventory has improved.  We headed that way around noon and it really was a beautiful day to be out and walking around with a high in the upper 60's.  I did talk Wife out of going to get some ice cream (crepes, really, which are like pancakes with a little ice cream on the plate) because I don't like being the fat Mexican crying for my free food with a goofy coupon from 6 months ago that might not even be recognized in a store full of people with money enough to hang out at the Domain.

    After spending about an hour talking to our sales lady about different watches, the Grand Seiko is a new line of beautiful watches being carried by them which are also hand made and mechanical, I almost bought one and Wife was okay with the decision but if I did it would definitely prevent a boat purchase for a few more years, so I am thinking about it.  She was also good with the idea of me buying a Tudor watch which is from the Rolex family but again, I wasn't sure about blowing $4000 on a fun toy for me.

    We looked at a couple of stores but Wife asked about Omega and that got me thinking about Korman Fine Jewelers which is the other store I know that sells high end watches.  We stopped there for a bit and again, they only had 4-6 Role watches, even less than the last time.  The Omega display was nice and healthy as was the Tudor display, but buying either of these will for sure slow me down from any other excesses so I am trying to be smart.

    We eventually got to the wrestling meet around 4:00pm thinking it would be about done but instead we walked in perfectly at the start of the finals round.  I don't mind watching our guy, the senior who trained and worked with Baby A, but we had to sit through the 15 weight classes to see one match.  In that span, one kid broke his arm, there were at least three stops for nosebleeds, and so many broken hearts as kids who gave it their all fell a little short of making the state tournament.  It was a little hard to watch the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat on the same stage.  Most of the matches were pretty even and just went to the one that played his match perfectly.

    The senior was no exception, he went the first round of his Finals match with no points scored, then in the second round the opponent scored a point by escaping from the down position which was the only point scored going into the final round.  In the third round, the senior scored two points with a takedown and then it was tense as we hoped that he didn't make a mistake the last 50 seconds.  He was fighting for third place which meant a trip to state.  It got really aggressive as the other kid tried his hardest to score another point to tie or something, but the senior escaped the attack and again had another takedown for two more points, so he was up 4-1.  With around 30 seconds they tumbled to the ground one more time then the senior just danced and avoided the advances to stay on his feet and win by points.  It was quite tense, had he lost, his season would have been over, instead, he gets to fight for one more week and represent the Cougars at the state meet next week in Houston.  We will be there since our son is his training partner and he is going for support.  Hopefully, it means a trip to the Galleria Mall, I know they sell all sorts of fancy watches there.

No comments:

Post a Comment