Wednesday, September 9, 2020

9/9/20 Ring, Doorbell Of The Future?

     I wasn't planning on it, but I bought a new doorbell and it just reminds me of the Black Eyed Peas phrase in a song loosely paraphrased "you are living in 2008, I am over here being 2000 and great."  Things are just starting to take a turn to a very close future as we envisioned in our youth.  The doorbell not only rings if someone actually presses the button, but even before one touches it, it has already reacted to the motion, taking a video or a picture and then is even able to communicate with others having similar devices online to show nefarious activity in the middle of the night.  I was almost worried seeing so much activity within a 3 mile radius, and this is in what I call a fairly safe part of town on the first night of setting the device up.  A few miles away, a succulent bandit struck again, and there is video of a creeper coming up quietly to a random house, he lightly touches a plant, caressing it, then takes it with him.  Another shows a homeless looking guy ringing a doorbell at 4:30am and he waits patiently for the homeowner to open.  He doesn't after seeing the large man standing outside and he leaves after awhile.  Another had a junky meth looking woman going seemingly from apartment to apartment jiggling the door to see if one will open, I can only assume so she can steal or maybe as some liberal commented "maybe she was disoriented and lost."  Either way, there were like 12-13 incidents like this on the first night in the area, I can only imagine this is normal for the night.

    The reason I got this was because Boy was taking snipes at me that he missed a package being delivered because the delivery guy rang the doorbell and it didn't ring (for some reason, our doorbell has to be held down for it to actually ring inside).  I don't mind it this way because this way only people we invite ring the doorbell, I tell them to hold it down, I don't care for strangers bothering me and waking me up in the middle of the day.  I am still unsure what the etiquette here should be.  Boy complains about this, it is my house, but he is my kid, but if it bothers him, should he be buying this for the house?  These things go for as much as $250.  I bought the most basic one at $79.99, but it still has 1080p imaging and even a battery so I didn't have to hardwire it, which I might do later.

    It took awhile to set up.  you have to download the Ring app for your phone, create a new account, load software, connect the device to a charger to charge the battery and update the software.  It is kind of a pain in the ass in the beginning, not to mention having to drill the bricks up front to mount it on the wall, but it all seems to have worked out.  I like having this on my phone, it will notify me even if I am not home, and I can talk to whoever is outside, even if I am away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment