Saturday, September 19, 2020

9/19/20 Entourage? (HBO Show)

     I had a quick conversation with my brother yesterday and he mentioned he was in the middle of re-watching Entourage on HBO.  This got me thinking about the show and I ended up watching the first seven episodes last night.  The show first came out in 2004, according to IMDB.com and the premise is really simple.  It follows the life of (I heard Mark Wahlberg) Vincent Chase and his assorted childhood buddies who have followed him to Hollywood from New York.  They get to live in that world of excess and give us a glimpse into something that seems at certain times the American dream and at others, what happens when you get too much of a good thing.

    I don't really want to review the show, I saw it years ago and I love the Ari Gold character, he is over the top and a real go-getter.  He defines what a type A personality is and it is funny to see him juggling that very thin line of wanting to rule the world but still being under his wife's control.  Vincent is just an empty headed pretty bobble head that can play the actor role well, but I think it is Eric that keeps him in line.  Rounding out the cast are his older brother Johnny Drama who is hilarious in his role as been there, done that but never really had the true success that little brother is having and then Turtle who is really the "leach" hanging on, but he is fiercely loyal and does all the dirty work for the group such as driving, getting girls to party with, and "party favors" when necessary.

    My observation is that times have changed so much in the last few years that I am not sure a show like this could be made today.  There is so much great excess, such as the boys going and leasing a Rolls Royce because they are bored, or jumping on a jet to go to Vegas for the night, or looking at mansions because they decide they want an outdoor pool, not an indoor one.  They drive around in so many different cars, Turtle has a yellow Hummer in most scenes and that thing just screams 'Merica, Fuck Yeah!  Today's soy boys in Hollywood would be doing the same scenes in a hybrid of some kind to show how much they care for the environment and living in micro houses made of recycled plastic, ugh!  What is the point of making millions of dollars if you are going to drive a goddammed Toyota??

    I don't know what happened to our world but I grew up in a world where "he with the most toys in the end wins!"  Now, all of a sudden the chant seem to be "Kumbaya, but don't preach to me about God, but all of god's creatures are equal."  Fuck that, we are not all equal, take that shit back to Venezuela or Cuba.  We are supposed to strike out and get some, That! is the American way.

No comments:

Post a Comment