Tuesday, September 15, 2020

9/16/20 Alcohol, Fun Or A Nuisance?

     I had a weird-ish conversation with Wife's nephew this past weekend.  I honestly don't know who is right or if there is a right and a wrong.  He was walking around almost giddy with a drink.  I figured by how his mom asked him about it and then someone else made a comment that there was alcohol in it.  I looked at him puzzled and asked if he was drinking.  After he said yes, I asked him why.  He actually seemed to take a little offense to it and I wasn't really trying to bust his balls, I was really surprised at seeing him do this in the afternoon there in the house with all the family there.  The weirdness comes because nobody really drinks over there, maybe his mom, Wife's younger sister, but the rest of the people are pretty dry.

    He then started naming his friends and said when he gets together with them he can put some beers down.  This is done by "men" usually to brag about how tough they are around alcohol.  I took the opposite direction and told him that the only reason I ever drink is to play grab-ass to lighten the mood.  I don't get anything out of drinking with guys, unless I was trying to get one of them drunk to poke him in the culi, I joked.  I then back tracked a bit, figuring this kid is into it, he is not going to stop because I don't approve.  I told him it is fine to drink at home, his mom was explaining that most of the time his friends get together in the backyard and that is where they do their drinking.  I told him if you are going to drink, try to do it at home, you are a big boy and if you get out of control and cops show up, it is not going to be pretty.  Honestly, I said you are the kind of dude that might end up getting shot, as big as you are and if you loose control I don't know that 2-3 cops could contain the kid.  This is a very sweet and mild mannered dude, but he is like 6ft 3in and naturally a strong kid.

    He assured me that he is not trying to drink to get into trouble.  He already experienced a horrible scene with alcohol a few weeks ago, they were driving back home from another friend's house and they noticed a car or truck swerving in front of them, they gave the driver plenty of space, but as they approached the intersection around loop1604 and IH-10 the car did not stay on the road and it went over the rail and fell from a high distance.  He said he saw a decapitated body and another survivor in shock being incoherent and just wanting to leave.  

    Yes, alcohol can be fun, but it can turn deadly quick.  I try to only drink at home, if I do at all.  I bought some of those alcoholic seltzers about a month ago since they were bragging about being low carb, but even then, I just don't get much out of getting drunk.  It seems like such a hassle to drink away from home with all the laws and possibilities to offend someone that I don't think it is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment