Friday, October 5, 2018

10/5/18 Javalina Does Not Want An Out?

    I was talking to my little jock last week and I told him that he needed to decide if he was going to stay with the sports thing or maybe give it up and dedicate himself to the band thing.  I wasn't asking after the latest loss, he was actually offered a programming class in the spring, so his schedule might have to be moved around and I am just having a discussion if he has to remove an elective which band seems to be.  He was kind of with an attitude "Whoa whoa whoa, you want me to be a band geek, how about me dating girls?"  I told him "that is the beauty of band, all the decent girls are already there and you get to hang out around them."  "But I don't want a band dork for a girlfriend!"  I took my filters off, that was an attack.  "Dick, your mom and I are both band geeks, isn't your life pretty sweet?  Pay attention Goober!"
    I am not trying to insult anyone, but on the whole band people are more "creative types, the girls that are really there to play are competitive in life.  In all the movies we watch, where are the morons most likely to be in, group wise?  Duh, the football team, bashing their heads against each other.  You would be lucky to land a ballbuster like your mama, she gets shit done and still has time to scare you and your brother from 3 hours away.
    I was very much in his position coming out of eighth grade.  I had played two years of junior high football, I started on both sides, right tackle and nose guard.  I loved the idea of playing, but I wanted to be a playmaker, I would have accepted like fullback or back-up quarterback (there have been a couple of fat QBs).  I was just as good in band and one of the band directors pulled me aside and said "stick with band next year, you have something special."  Rubbing my ego always works, plus the football team has always been a consistent 3-7 team, so it's not like the jocks rocked.
    I am not trying to persuade him to go one way or the other, it is his choice to make.  I know he really likes being on the football field, even today, they had practice after a game they lost without pads, he said it was the most fun because they got to tackle and work on techniques and angles without all the padding.  Boy went a completely different trajectory than I was expecting with the robots and rockets leading up to the STEM program, so I will keep an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment