Friday, October 12, 2018

10/12/18 The Name Song?

    I love having XM/Sirius in the car because the regular stations get on my nerves cycling through the same 10-15 songs every hour.  Plus, I think it is great to introduce Javalina to "new" old music and tell him a little factoid or whatever I might know about whatever song.  Like if a pervert sang a song sweetly enough, he could sing to his beloved minor and it was no big deal.  Exhibit A: Gary Puckett and the Union Gap had a song literally titled "Young Girl" which warns a young girl to run before she gets a raping from the lead singer.  Exhibit B: Ringo Starr had a song titled "You're Sixteen (You're Beautiful and You're Mine).  The title is enough to send his ass to jail nowadays, but back then it was cute to sing to a sophomore girl in high school.  The song implicates him too, "ooh when we kissed, I could not stop."  Sounds like more raping to me.
    But anyway, yesterday we were hearing The Name Song which is really a silly but catchy song as you try to figure out how your own name would work, of course Javalina asked me how his name would go, so I attempted it, but it looks like I failed.  I looked it up and there is a little thing where you can fill in the name and it does the rest for you, so the right way would be:

Alex Alex bo-balex
Banana fanna fo-falex
Fee, fy, mo-malex.
 Alex!

It was definitely a different time because there is no way this would even get on the radio nowadays.  I am not saying one is better than the other, but there is no gratuitous attempts at describing an ass, there is no rapping going on, instruments get used for solos, instead of guest rappers saying more words.  I don't know which is better or more clever, but I do prefer the old stuff, maybe it just says I am getting older too, but the boys don't complain.  How about living in a world where you don't know about the Beatles?  I asked Girlie a couple weeks ago if she knew Hey Jude and even sang a few lines for her and she apologetically looked at me like she had no idea what I was talking about.  That borders on criminal, not to know the classics.  

No comments:

Post a Comment