Wednesday, October 17, 2018

10/17/18 Gorzycki Beat Bedichek Gloriously?

    I guess alliteration doesn't always help, and neither did the weather change.  We actually had about perfect weather for the first five games, but this one we will remember for awhile.  The weather turned shitty on Monday morning and is supposed to continue all week with a slight warm-up towards the weekend.
    Wife and I arrived at the game at the same time, even though I was in town and she had to speed in from her job three hours away.  Walking in, it didn't look bad, it wasn't even drizzling or misty while the 7th grade teams finished playing their game.  There had been a little delay on account of the stadium lights not wanting to turn on, but they were on by the time we got there.  Good thing too, because it was pretty much dark by the time we sat and cracked open our soda and waters.  For a second, I was about to tell Wife, "look, it would suck if we were sitting on that side" when I noticed with the stadium lights the heavy mist coming down on the opposite side of the field, but then I realized, no, we are all in it.  I was surprised they didn't stop the game, it was so cold and nasty.  I was wearing a muscle shirt, a regular shirt, a thermal light sweater and a jacket.  I finally put on my poncho when the mist felt more like rain and I was glad I found the other one for Wife, otherwise, I would have had to be a gentleman and give her mine, and that would have sucked.  I don't know that layering worked much, even with wool socks and tennis shoes and warm-ups instead of my shorts and crocs, I was still miserable and cold.
    Javalina did not seem bothered by the weather or the score.  Once you know you're on a bad team, I guess you just celebrate the good points and he was still playing most of the game on both sides of the ball, so I think the coaches think well of him.  He had a beautiful solo tackle in the 3rd quarter where he caught the running back trying to cut through the middle of the field lifted him and fell on top of him, very impressive.  Next play, he was one step from tackling the quarterback as he threw a beautiful 30 yard pass to an open receiver, then they scored again.  I believe the score was 34-6, which as he said seems worse than it was (IDK how).  I love that the boys are still trying, but honestly, without a true QB that can present a passing game, they are 1 dimensional and it is too easy for the other team to just pin their ears back and send everybody in on every play overwhelming the blockers and sacking the QB.
    There is supposedly a city tournament starting next week, which they didn't do last year, so I will wait to see what that is about.  I asked Javalina if they even qualified with their 0-6 record?  After calling me "Dick", which maybe I deserved for sounding cruel but it is what it is, he said thewy were going to play a team from the north side that is also 0-6, so we will see who is the best (and who is the worst?).

No comments:

Post a Comment