Friday, July 7, 2017

7/8/17 I Have Seen The Future And It Could Be Mine for $49,500?

    We spent the day cruising around Corpus Christi with my folks in their truck.  I had seen some lots on Zillow that seemed way to cheap for what they were, and I figured they were some sort of scam.  Since we didn't have anything better to do, I headed over there before my dad complained too much.  My parents were both sure it would be cheap because it would be full of drunks and vacationers.  I was still intent on seeing the lots, hoping it wouldn't be a gated type of community.  The area was actually cool and in a rare instance my folks and I agreed that the lots seemed nice for the price.  They are not big lots, but they are waterfront and already bulk-headed with cement to protect from erosion.  Those that know the area, it is within viewing distance of Indian Point.
    We managed to find a lot that had a box with information and in that, we got the pricing on about ten lots, as well as other general information.  All the lots are on city water, sewage, utilities, and are for sale between $39,500, and $149, 500.  There are about five or six streets, and the priciest lot is almost 2.5 lots, and located at the end where the street turns into a T-head.  The cheapest ones were the first lot in and closest to the busy highway.  We ended up calling the guy on the paper ad, and he said these were the last lots of their kind in Corpus Christi.  you might get waterfront in Rockport, but not as nice as these, and there might be some waterfront approaching Port Aransas but those are going to be a lot more in cost.
    Now I am stuck with the notion that I really want one, Wife says no way, not with the fact that we don't know what is happening with the future of my job.  I say that we are not going to find waterfront property at such low prices.  I also asked the guy on the phone about how soon we had to build and he said there was no rush, the only rules were the house had to have a Mediterranean flavor and the roof had to be red clay tiles, which makes sense to give the houses a sense of unity.  I like the look of the roughly 30 houses already built.  I also like there is no septic to worry about installing, everything is already there, build whenever it is convenient for us.
    I was hoping my folks would be interested enough to either think about buying a lot next to the one I want or going in half and half with us.  My mom says they are too old to think about anything like this.  Wife agrees with me that she would like to retire to the coast whenever we get old enough.  I don't really like the idea of retirement, I want to work until I am buried, but I do want a vacation home with some waterfront with a boat sitting ready and waiting for me.  I think I will just have to purchase the lot and force it down Wife's throat.  I don't think she will ever say "Ok, let's do it, we have enough cushion in life."  If I just buy it, and she sees we can afford it, she will roll her eyes at me, but we will then have the foundation and start to one of our goals for later in life.  Or maybe I am an idiot that wants too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment