Wednesday, July 5, 2017

7/5/17 4th Of July On The Cheap?

    It has been awhile since we celebrated 4th of July at home.  Usually, we have been in Florida this week, but because of funds we decided not to do it this year.  It is one of my little regrets and I told Wife I didn't care how, we are going back next year.  I love the whole loading up the Excursion, and traveling together, even if we get there stinky and stiff.  The trip to Houston on Monday was an approximation and nice, but I want to be gone for the whole week.  The parks may be cheesy and overpriced, but I enjoy them too, because we are there as a family, and Boy may not like everything, but I can buy a smile out of him, if anything.
    This year, we did not even think about inviting our old friends or even family.  We just decided that whoever wanted to show up, could.  All I cared about was us four being together.  Boy has had a couple days off, not sure why, but with Wife gone most weeks, I like that we have had most meals together this week.  Boy had plans to grill with his friends here at the house, he was unsure what we were going to do.  When we told him we were staying, he said they were going to grill, I am not going to fight him, I said sure, you can be outside in the heat.
    They went and bought some funky red meat from a Mexican place, I've seen and dealt with it before, but it is not my favorite.  Because I knew they were going to do this, we went to the store too and bought some chicken breasts, ribs, corn, and sausages.  The ribs took too long and we ended up putting them in the stove as they just did not fit in the grill.  This made the kitchen warm, even now at 2:00am, it still feels warmer downstairs than up in the bedrooms.
    We bought a round coconut cake, and Wife got the stuff to make angel food cake with strawberries, whipped cream, and red filling, and then Boy's bestie made a homemade german chocolate cake, which was delicious, one of the best cakes I have ever eaten, yum. 
    It was weird, after all the eating, we didn't buy fireworks, so we kind of fizzled.  Boy wanted to be in his room to show off the new redo with the new paint job and the new TV.  Chubs has been in his room most every minute since getting back from Crystal last week.  I talked with my mom briefly, and discussed the possibility of meeting them in Corpus Christi on Friday, then got off the phone.
    I was feeling full, and sticky and humid, so to the bathroom, did my business, showered, and came back downstairs.  It was still warmer in the living room than upstairs.  I ate a huge piece of cake, and fell asleep.  Wife woke me at 12:30am, I went upstairs, tried writing, fell asleep, got up, peed, then finally got revved up by something.  Now it is 3:05 am and am no longer sleepy, so this has been a lot easier to write.  I kind of miss the fireworks, but I don't miss that I would buy most of them when we have popped any in the past.  It was nice not to have that extra $300 bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment