Monday, July 17, 2017

7/17/17 A Little TLC To Our Biggest Expense?

    I love going to Home Depot and Lowe's, honestly, that is one place I do enjoy that Wife is three hours away because when she goes with me, I know I have about a half hour before she gets bored.  I am always thinking of a new project.  Currently, I notice we never use the balcony in front of our house.  Although it is a weird place to convene, it could be a nice place in the Fall, to enjoy a cold front coming in.  Or maybe to sit out there and enjoy a thunderstorm.
    The first thing I needed to do was replace the old lighting switch I tried changing a couple years ago.  Apparently, a light can be a one pole or a three pole device.  If it only has one on/off switch it is a one pole, if it has a couple areas where it can be turned off/on, it is a three poly.  By luck, I bought the wrong one and still tried to install it and then left it there for a couple years.  I remembered today while looking at the lights and things at Lowe's and bought the right one this time.  Now, however, we can dim the lights if we are ever up there and want it to just be cozy enough.  I felt successful after fixing it.  All it needs now is a good cleaning with the power washer, and some chairs.
    This came after also fixing one of our bedroom fans that wasn't turning off or on anymore this morning.  I had replaced the remote a couple years after we moved in the house, when I could not make the original remote work.  I guess it had lived out its warranty too, but I bought a new controller, opened the fan, rewired it, and the new remote does the job same as before.
    There were also the matter or the two lamps that were in our room that stopped working at almost the same time.  I went and got a lamp we weren't using almost immediately to replace the one on my side of the bed, because as I have said before, working 20+ years on nights, I am a little scared of the dark, to sleep.  But it also turns out there was nothing wrong with either of our lamps, they just needed the right new bulbs.
    Speaking of new bulbs, I am curious as to the savings from the solar cells is going to be.  Either way, we have come a long way inside too.  The kitchen where I would normally have five big 100 watt bulbs burning up the place, instead have five fluorescent bulbs which give no heat to the surrounding environment.  Chubs was worried about the bright new bulb in his lamp by the bed,if it could start a fire.  I told him I don't know how, if I can wrap my whole hand around the bulb and not feel much of any sensation.  I was surprised that after 10-15 minutes on, the bulb hadn't heated up much.  Not only are these bulbs not heating up the inside of the house, the way they work is supposed to also be cheaper than superheating a tungsten wire, which is old technology and barely being produced anymore.
    These are little projects, I can't wait to start changing out the floors here soon.  The carpet has gotten so ugly, but what should we expect after ten plus years of good living?

No comments:

Post a Comment