Monday, March 30, 2015

3/31/15 To Sell Or Not To Sell?

    This has been our biggest dilemma of the past few months.  A few months ago I was sure we would not be moving anytime soon.  Things can change quickly.  At this moment, I can say I am 50/50 on whether staying here and selling our old house or selling this house and moving back to our old house.
    The biggest pro to staying here is Chubs.  He hears us talking about this and he gets upset.  He likes the school he goes to and the friends he has.  I keep telling him even if we stay, in another year you are still going to another school and then you will still be with different kids.  The other pro to staying here is the hassle of moving everything just seems daunting.  It sucked when we moved everything over, and we have only added more furniture in the last seven years.  I am also not sure my huge ego and pride can take downsizing like a little bitch.  I like having extra room to move around in.  Sometimes, I go and hang in the guest room upstairs just to watch TV or write in privacy. During the week, when I come home early and Chubs is sleeping with Wife, I will just lay down in the guest room, I like the bed in there.
    The cons or negatives of staying here is that now Boy pretty much moved out, he doesn't want to hang out with us old farts, so it is just the three of us living in this huge 5 bedroom house, thanks Mom.  It was only a couple months ago that my brother was living here, but currently, only 2 bedrooms are being lived in and when I work, Chubs really sleeps with Wife, so we need 1.5 rooms.  The real con is the mortgage, thanks to the creeping taxes, our mortgage is now ~$3200.  When we moved in seven years ago, it was closer to $2400.
    Now for some pros, if we move.  The mortgage on the other house is about $900, right off the bat, we would be saving over $2300 a month without doing anything.  We supposedly have a bunch of equity, which of course the banks won't let us use to refinance, but if we sell, we could see $90-100k profit.  This would pay off all our credit debt, and possibly even Boy's Jeep, maybe a new Rolex for Daddy.  So if we move, all our financial stress just disappears, but then we live in a house 1/3 the size of what we have.
    Some cons, naturally, are much less space to live in.  Some of the neighbors over there, were not that great.  It is an older neighborhood, and although I hate the HOA telling me what to do, I hate that some people really don't care about the upkeep of their houses.
    An option that has been pitched around is move over there, temporarily, then move to a midsize house, something totally different.  I might like that idea, but only if the new property has some space.  I want to have an oversized storage shed to keep my boat and RV on the property and space to tinker if I feel like it.  So we are not sure what to do, Wife says she backs whatever I decide 100% and keeps saying I am not  a failure if we do move.  That is the rub, I do feel a bit like I bit more than I could chew, maybe I should just choke on it.  That'll learn me.

No comments:

Post a Comment