Monday, March 16, 2015

3//17/15 Not Impressed With Galveston So Far?

    We are here in Galveston on Spring Break vacation.   I love our accomadations, it is a two bedroom, two bath condo with a living room and small kitchen, all maybe in 800 spuare feet.  Perfect for vacationing.  We invited my folks, who I thought were going to come, they joined us last year, but turns out because of different scheduled Spring Breaks (they babysit for my sister) could not join.  Boy was supposed to come and in years past, would bring along a friend, but alas, he is a grown man with goals and agendas of his own.  He decided to stay behind and make some money for his own vacation come May (going to Disney with his friends).   At the last minute, I left open invites with two of our friends, but they both work and couldn't just up and leave like in years past.
    So it is us three, and the tone is very relaxed.  Chubs is over in the second bedroom watching TV at about 3am as of right this minute.  I had fallen asleep at 1030pm, but I told Wife I'd probably wake up around 2am to write a blog or two and that is exactly what happened.  We don't really have a schedule to keep.  Other than this afternoon which we went and listened to their pitch, they called last night when we got in that their had been changes in how they classify things and it would be in our best interest to listen to their latest pitch, I would have ignored it, but they offered tickets to Moody Gardens which my wife looked up and were worth $60 apiece.  I figure for a savings of $180 I can kill about two hours.  We were out of there and came to chill for awhile in the condo.
    Around four, we headed out for a cruise with the top down, got about 4-5 miles down the road, and I had to pull over and close the top, although there was somewhat a partly cloudy afternoon, the wind was still too chilly to enjoy the day, convertible style.  It was OK, we went down along Seawall Drive, which is like Ocean Drive in Corpus.  We stopped at a certain point and took a couple pictures, and then continued further.  My big problem is the signs that say you have to call with your phone and pay to park along the Seawall.  It doesn't say how much, and I don't know that I want to stop for more than 10-15 minutes to check out the bikini girls.  But I am also cheap and untrusting, I don't want to pay by phone, then they have my credit card number, who's to say they don't charge for a longer time?
    I don't recall seeing it before, but it also seemed very chaotic, at a certain point, going east.  It was touristy, then all of a sudden, there were tons of people.  There were people sitting on their hoods like they were waiting for a parade or something.  Cars blasting music left and right, groups of Mustangs screeching their wheels at lights.  People just crossing the street anywhere, like they owned the road.  The whole scene was not really a family feel, it was a youth feeling, maybe because it is Spring Break, and there weren't enough parents around.  I have not had that feeling in Corpus Christi, which is our usual destination for Spring Break.  I'm not ready to give up, we have all week, hopefully the crowds thin a bit during the week.  I still intend to be a tourist, but I prefer to not be surrounded by other tourists.  I know life doesn't work that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment