Monday, March 23, 2015

3/24/15 Boy Turns 21?

    Today my Boy officially turns 21.  We celebrated his birthday with family on Saturday, but I do believe Wife will go see her baby and feed him in San Marcos.  He said he has a test and lab until 5pm, but he is available afterwards.  I am glad he hasn't turned into a kid that needs to celebrate everything with alcohol.  It doesn't seem to be a big deal so far.
    We keep plenty of alcohol in the house, but I didn't start drinking until I was about 35.  I don't really dig it, I might have a beer on the weekends.  If we are "partying" in the hot tub with friends I can get drunk and handsy, but that doesn't happen much. 
    I've told Boy since he was 17 or 18 to feel free to have a drink in the house, so you know what happens to you.  He declares himself a "scotch" man but can only handle about a finger on the rocks in a glass.  Usually, when he gets some, he ends up pouring his into my glass.  It makes him sleepy.  To my knowledge he doesn't drink away from the house, his friends are mostly nerdy, so I believe him.  He doesn't hide from us when he comes home or anything suspicious.
    We are very proud of Mijo.  He was diagnosed with dyslexia in 3rd grade.  I have been tough on him, not letting him get away with "I can't do it because of my handicap".  His writing is admittedly bad, but he still manages to get past his classes.  He doesn't suffer as much in the sciences, and actually shines there.  He was having a bit of a hard time at ACC (Austin Community College) because he was taking all his basics and reading and writing were a big part of his classes.  His GPA was not as good as he wanted, but he got into Texas State and now he gets to take mostly science classes.  He seems like the little swan coming into his own.  He is downright beautiful in his element, loves his calculus classes, and everything that scares most non-academics. 
    He is even looking for summer internships in companies like my own.  I talked to my supervisor, but people here drag their feet on doing stuff out of the norm.  He is well on his way to becoming a man, works on the weekends, has his little apartment in San Marcos.  He is no longer our little boy who needs an occasional video game from Best Buy.  He just orders crap for himself from Amazon.  I want to stand in his way and push him back into our house, but when you do things right, you get an adult that eventually needs to spread his wings and fly.  Fly little bird!  Fly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment