Sunday, March 1, 2015

3/1/15 How Much Education Is Enough?

    A couple days ago, I saw a comment by a cousin on FB about feeling down as she is pursuing her Master's degree.  Something about even if she gets the degree, it won't mean necessarily more money at the current job she is at.  This is the exact same thing that happened to my wife.  We decided it would be a positive thing, she went through the hard work and hassle, got a Master's in Education and the raise she got wouldn't even pay for dinner at cheap ass Cheddar's.  This is not my wife's fault, she gets glowing reviews every year, her boss loves her, but the actual thing that matters, money, has not matched all those beautiful words everyone tells her about how outstanding she is at helping the community she helps.
    I have a Bachelor's degree in chemistry (and hell no, I couldn't do half of what Walt on Breaking Bad does), and everyone tells me I just got lucky to end up in semiconductor field where we get paid more than anyone else.  Thanks, Jerks, nice to know it's luck.  How about fact that I have survived like seven layoffs, or that I am willing to work nights where few people dare go to.  I digress, I too tried to get a Master's degree like ten years ago.  I was not going to quit my job, so I would work, then head to San Marcos and attend classes.  I found that I could not keep up that kind of pace.  I told the advisor I wanted to do 1-2 classes but they pushed me into a full load, I ended up dropping out, knowing that my hard work would only get me a 5% raise.  I wish I had finished it, specially because my wife has one and several family members do too, but my goal now, is making sure Boy and Chubs get at least that far and I would like to see them go farther.  These are fine goals, provided you don't have kids, at my stage in life, money is king, papers on the wall are nice, but not if they don't equal more cashola.
    I don't know how much education is enough, but I have also seen people posting on FB that higher education is not necessary to succeed.  This is of course true, but if that is your mentality, you better show up with an eagerness to work your butt off, show the boss you have some value making you worth more than the next Joe walking in off the street, and some street smarts.  Donkeys don't generally get rewarded just for showing up.  My Dad always kept close pace with my Mom, salary wise, she with a Master's Degree and a counselor and my Dad with a high school degree, but the man worked hard always on a truck, I don't recall him ever taking days off, during the week cause he had a little cold.
    That being said, I just hope Boy stays interested in his studies.  This is why I generally succumb to his requests when he asks for computer this and electronic that.  If he sees them as necessary, I see them as necessary.  He knows we believe in him, and I would prefer him at home where I know his Mama is making sure he eats right.  For now, we will take his word, plus he sent me pics of dinner, and it looks like he knows what he is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment