Wednesday, March 11, 2015

3/12/15 19 Was The Limit For Boy?

    My oldest will not be joining us for Spring Break vacation this year.  I guess we have become the latest game console to become irrelevant.  We had a good run, but last year's vacation was almost horrible.  He did not want to be with us.  This year I told him all year "if you're gonna act like an Ass, I would rather you not go."  He always looks like "whatever do you mean, father? I am the poster boy for good manners."  He pissed and moaned because he wasn't with his friends and we were kind of in the woods and there was hardly any internet/phone activity.
    This year, he has plans to go to Florida at the end of their school semester in May.  He has a chance to work extra days during the week and thus make more money to save for his trip.  He's got a decent little job as a server at Alamo Drafthouse, they pay well.  Currently though, he only works Saturday and Sunday because he has class during the week.  Since he is off all week for Spring Break, he offered to work and he said they are letting him work during the week.  I think it is SXSW so the city will be busy.  He says he has about $500 in his savings, but he's kind of dumb in that he keeps ordering stuff from Amazon and wasting away his savings.
    I never had a problem vacationing with my folks, it was usually to Corpus Christi to get out on the beach, and I have generally always liked doing that.  I started dating my wife when she was 14, I was 16 and she even joined us a couple times before we were married.  She would sleep over by my mom and that was fine, it kept me happy that they would even take her.
    I want to take it personally, as the kids say "I feel butthurt", but it is not personal, he has goals he sees as more important.  Hopefully, he'll come around and want to join us later, but it is up to him.  I will not be forcing him to join us so he can throw tantrums and pooh pooh everything we suggest.  If you join us, it is because you want to.
    I still enjoy hanging with my folks.  We have an RV and they have one too.  We park in the same RV park in Corpus and try to spend as many weekends as possible up there together during the summer.  Last summer Wife's brother bought an RV and they were in the park with us, and this year, even my in-laws have gotten an RV.  They will be hanging out with us in the RV park this summer.  I am not sure if Boy will join us.  He joined us once last summer, and then of course, he took his friends and used my RV to play host. 
    What can one do?  I call him my Little Shit, but I guess he's mostly grown.  I can't really stop him from doing what he wants to do, maybe in time, he'll realize he's missing out from family time.  Maybe I'll spoil Chubs to the max and tell Boy too bad, should've stayed with Daddy.  Nah, I'm not that petty, or am I?   

No comments:

Post a Comment