Sunday, December 21, 2014

12/21/14 You Want To Be A Man? #2

    I tell my son, if the most important thing about you is responsibility at work, next in line is punctuality.  Punctuality is what employers look at the easiest, most of your shitty jobs a 20-something is going to have require clocking in and clocking out.  Why do you think they go through the process of timecards and a manual thing you punch?  Because they don't trust your sorry ass. 
    Until you are older and have a profession, or work for yourself, you will be answering to "the Man."  As I said in my first instruction, the man cares first about his business, then his tools of his trade, then maybe his employees.  If he could legally lock you up with the tools to ensure you would be there in the morning, ready to go, he would do that, but alas, people have fought many a good fight to be treated humanely during business hours.  Don't set the hands of time back by being a douchebag and making your boss monitor you because you can't read a watch or phone, nowadays.
    I have worked around that by showing up an hour early for nearly 18 years.  I come in around 5:30 to 6:00 when my shift should start at 7:00pm.  By doing this, I show my supervisors I can interact with dayshift, get pass downs, and get caught up before I am left alone for the night.  In return, I get to leave early, which works for me, as I prefer to get out and get home before morning rush hour starts.
    I worked in a warehouse when I graduated.  It was a hands on job and my presence was key.  I was quickly entrusted with the keys to the place (because when you look in my eyes, you feel safe, and you know I care as much as one can possibly care), and within the first two weeks I was opening and locking up.  I was young, dumb, and full of enthusiasm to impress and do a good job.  I'd have all the warehouse doors open, the coffee going, forklift warmed up before the full crew showed up.  It's willing to go farther than the next guy, what separates the leaders from the masses. 
    My father in law, in his seventies, still works part time at a college, and he too, likes showing up early to work.  I hear that he is up at 5:00am and on his way to work before 6:00am.  He was a factory foreman back in our hometown when we were growing up, and I hear he was diligent about his employees being on time, he loved yelling at the donkeys who couldn't get their shit together and be on time.
    To be early at work, is to be on time.  To show up on time, is to cut it too close.  My take is work is what allows you to buy your toys, be it toys or fast cars, treat it as the most important thing you do.  Your work is your contribution to society, be an obedient cog in the wheel of this mighty industrialized society.  If we all do our part, we'll keep all the other countries jelly*, as my boy says of the boundless opportunities we have.


*jelly-  to be jealous.  Word of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment