Wednesday, December 10, 2014

12/11/14 Whatcha Bench, Man?

    I lift weights, not like I used to in college, but I occasionally get into weeks with one of my coworkers where we start making good progress.  I got into weights when I came to UT, back in 1991.  I had two roommates and one had tried to walk on with the Longhorns, so he had a bit of a chip on his shoulder he wasn't playing.  When I started, it was rough, I had started losing weight my second year in junior college playing basketball every free second I had, and starving myself.  At the time, I lost about 100 pounds and now I needed to tone up.  I got so much crap from both roommates, if you're big, you're supposed to be strong.  "What the fuck, come on you big pussy, how can you not even lift one plate" (each "plate" is 45 pounds times two and bar weighs 45 pounds also, so minimum, a healthy male "should" be able to lift 135 pounds, per my roommates.  Every day, it was this type of encouragement, but soon I was acceptable and the strength felt good.  I was no longer a "puss", this came in handy several times, girls always need help moving and I had a truck.  My wife today would say they were using me, but I usually got a home cooked meal and they were my friends at the time, it's the neighborly thing to do.
    I kept lifting weights and have owned a bench and home weights ever since so I don't use the excuse that I don't have access to them.  With a good paying job and access to eating wherever I want, the pounds have come back, I really should start playing basketball, but there just aren't enough hours in the day.  College students don't realize how awesome it is to be them, that time does not last long enough.
    When I do stop lifting for weeks, I notice those nagging little pains creeping in, I don't sleep well, my lower back will hurt, my shoulders will be stiff, my neck will be in a constant sore state.  The only reason I stop is laziness, we have a decent gym at work, and I have a coworker willing to spot me as he also enjoys working out and we are at a close enough physique.  So do we just continue lifting?  Two years ago, I was right at that point of benching 300 pounds, but then my partner hurt his shoulder and we stopped for six months or so, he tore something, but didn't see a doctor.  We're back at it, most weeks, but he is more cautious than before.
    What propels us to continue, I think for me, it's that nagging little voice of don't be a "puss", I don't really move furniture these days, but I would like to think that if called upon my back would hold up, although I'm not so sure I can squat myself out of my wife's evil eye.  Nevertheless, it is a manly task and simply doing it once in a while allows me to keep my ego boosted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment