Thursday, December 18, 2014

12/19/14 Does Doing The Right Thing For The Wrong Reason Count?

    A coworker brought up an idea the other day.  This guy has moments of clarity and brilliance, but he can also be a huge pain in the ass, anyway.  He postulated that everything we do, we do in the guise of doing good deeds for others, but in reality, we are too selfish for this, and the truth is, we only do things for our own individual benefit.  I love this idea.  This means that if you give to the needy to "help", you are really doing it for some internal reason, maybe guilt, and donating will make you feel better.  I have never been a fan of charity, I believe people live the lives they choose, so when things get shitty, you kinda brought it upon yourself.  I know there's a million examples where the situation is out of the person's control blah blah blah. 
    Recently, there have been studies on panhandlers, seems some of them are faking it, gasp!!!  I remember a report from back in the 90s, where they were asking some of the homeless people around UT, and some were pulling in upwards of $50000.  Some of the YouTube videos I've seen have guys saying they can make up to $100000.  Fuck!, some of y'all are suckers.  But I guess if you give a dollar or two, you think you're helping someone, maybe you are.  Guilt assuaged and alcohol consumed.  Win-win, awesome blossom.
    Maybe you give to your church.  Well, god is impressed, ooh, maybe you'll get to eat with JC up in the big house.  That's a good reason to give, plus the church can always use more gold rooves, seriously are they gold when they show the Vatican on TV or just gold coloring?  At least the churches feed the poor.
    My wife donates here and there, I figure I won't complain too much, it is our money, so maybe I get some good joo-joo via her.  It's one thing to not be a fan of donating, it's quite another to say "AS GOD IS MY WITNESS, IF I FIND YOU DONATING SO MUCH AS A DOLLAR, YOUR BEHIND WILL TASTE THE ROUGH SIDE OF MY BELT WOMAN!!!"  Eh, I've had my own cases where I help financially, and although I won't say it was for my gain, I am sure my Neanderthal brain within was still hoping I'd at least manage a handy.  Just kidding, Jedi don't require handies, we just meditate ommmmmmmmmm.
    I guess my coworker did have a good point, I did agree with him though.  Now that I convinced you all, send your charities to me, I too want gold domed rooves on my house.

2 comments: