Tuesday, December 9, 2014

12/10/14 I Can Save The World?

    I live in Austin, the genius hippies came up with the idea to save the environment by giving up plastic bags at the store.  This was an awesome idea, the only ones who have benefited is the stores who sell you sturdier bags for a fee now.  I believe at HEB they are $1.00 for the red re-useable bags, but once you get home and notice blood from the meat, is anyone going to wash these bags, careful on your answer, you might anger the other people trying to save the water?  As a consolation prize, now we have closets full of cloth bags we are to use for groceries, which we always forget to use, paper bags from the stores that let you have some dignity and at least offer paper bags, thanks Central Market, and other weird bags my wife gets as prizes, which again might make one round to the store, but these bags don't get back in the car regularly.  So I buy bags, and lots of them, now.  I bought one today at Target, .10 cents for a paper bag.  I bought three red bags at HEB at $1/bag Saturday when I thought it would be nice to go get BBQ stuff while my wife was at work.  Her car had bags, yeaih!  I haven't met a single person in line defending this absurd idea, everyone does the "grrr, I forgot my bags".  You see some cheap bastards tucking their groceries in their pockets.  Best one was a couple months ago, HEB brought back the plastic bags, checker just said "pay $1.00, I got what you need and as many as you need."  Like a freaking drug dealer.  You won hippies, but stores are only ones making money from this.
    The other great idea going on is "we're in a drought, don't use water outside."  This means we can't wash our cars in our driveways, which is just dumb.  It is OK to go to the car wash and spend $7 in quarters and I assume hundreds of gallons of high pressure water, screaming at my kid "Put quarters in, I swear if this hose stops, you're walking home little Turd!!"  So stressful, I rarely do it.  Why is this water different from the one that will come out of my hose with a water gun, where water only comes out when I squeeze?  The car wash doesn't have a magic water reservoir, it is sucking from the same lake my house is sucking from, and forget those places like Genie Car Wash where you pay $20 or more, and then it rains or you run through some businesses errant sprinkler system pointing at the street after waiting over an hour, Hell to the No.
    So many other ideas to "save the environment", how about solar cells, just $30,000.  The city had an idea to "give" out electronic air conditioner controls, so you can control your A/C from your phone (by the way, the city also gets to control your house temperature, to avoid blackouts, of course).  No thanks, I'll take my chances.  How about replacing your light bulbs?  They are supposed to stop producing regular "hot" bulbs, but I've been in Home Depot, some of those new bulbs are $20 each, they're supposed to last a long time, but I guess time will tell.
    My coworker was having a panic attack about this, I say calm down, any problems we create will just be hurdles for future engineers to solve.  He wasn't buying it, but at one point coming from Europe was a months long proposition, now it takes a few hours on a jet.  If need be, we'll make Mars our next clean destination to go and destroy, at least there aren't people to remove.  But if we find Marvin roaming around, shhh, wait until after he teaches us his ways before we act all human.  What could possibly go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment