Monday, October 3, 2022

10/3/22 Husqvarna Dreams and Realities?

     I keep getting burned by name brand crap.  This one is kind of an inside joke, but towards the end of the school year, we had the wrestling banquet at what is now the girlfriend of Mijo.  We went over the day before to help clean and set up for the party.  The mom asked our boy if he knew how to run a trimmer to cut some of the grass.  He was honest and said he hadn't run one like hers, she had a nice Husqvarna which was gas operated, ours is electric and connected to a cord.  I also tend to do all the trimming, while Mijo runs the mower.  She decided he couldn't handle her Husqvarna and she proceeded to cut the grass herself, I mean they have something like 13 acres, she should have been out there driving a mower of some kind.  Still, since then, I have been teasing our boy that he needs time on a Husqvarna so that next time, he will be ready.

    I had been wanting to buy one, even before this, the electric works fine, but it is small, and I have to kind of bend a bit to reach the ground, and I have to be mindful of the cord, which is why I like the idea of a gas powered one.  I got my wish on Saturday, when we went and bought one, Wife really wanted to go look at the Halloween decorations, but she was willing to let me get something for participating.  I was still a bit hesitant; the stupid trimmers don't say if they are 2-cycle or 4-cycle.  They sell pre-mixed fuel, which costs so much more than what you can get at the gas station, but that is a choice.  Once I talked to one of the sales guys, he explained that they are indeed 2-cycle engines, which meant I needed that type of fuel.

    We got it home, while Mijo was at the game working and other Mijo was on his way over.  We had planned to grill some meat to watch the game, dad doesn't like to leave the house, so this worked out for me.  Boy got there about 6:30pm, I had the meat going on the grill, and it is starting to get dark sooner, so cutting the grass would have to wait.  The night was good, Boy kept Wife and Grandma entertained with his pictures from Japan, I glanced at them while running the grill and trying to watch the game.

    When I finally got to use my own Husqvarna, I wasn't crazy for it.  First off, my electric one starts as soon as it is plugged in.  This gas one had to be primed, I had to use a choke, then I apparently need to toughen up.  The vibration from the motor about numbed my hand.  The trimmer is carried on my right hand (I am left-handed) and guided by the left hand.  My right hand was numb after working with the machine for about half an hour.  I did like the freedom of not being tethered to an electric wire, but we only did the front, it was later in the day, and it was getting darker.

No comments:

Post a Comment