Saturday, October 29, 2022

10/28/22 Another Win Against Northeast?

     The season is going by too fast, with one more game to go, but this season has been a winning one, yes, it still sucks that our boy is injured, but better to be injured on a winning team than a losing one.  They are now 6-3, so even if they lose the last game of the season and the first playoff, they will still end up with the best record I can recall.  They may have more wins this season than they had in the three previous seasons combined.

    Northeast was a different team, they definitely had a game plan, to run the ball up the middle.  They had a curious lineup, with extra tight ends and everybody squeezed into the middle of the field.  I was expecting this to be some gimmick strategy, with wide receivers releasing to the edges before the ball was hiked or something interesting, but no, this was their gameplan.  Lucky for us, our inside defense has been really good all season.  They have not allowed many big plays to start from inside, off guard or tackle.  I don't understand why they didn't adjust and run to the edges, all opponents have had some luck running to the outside and sweeping around near the sidelines.  They scored their first touchdown this way, we missed their second score, both Wife and I went to the bathroom before the half, it was so cold.

    Our boys were active all over the field.  We had two blocked punts which bounced back almost into the endzone and were turned into two quick scores.  Our QB had the first score, on the first play of the game, he ran it in about 50-60 yards down the sideline.  There was another beautiful score, with 20 seconds left, Northeast punted the ball back to us, but it only traveled 5 yards and went out the sideline.  From about their 40-yard line, our boys ran a play, then called timeout, The last play of the half, was a bomb to an open man in the endzone, where he jumped for the ball, caught it in the air, and landed on his back for a very dramatic TD.  This gave us a 35-14 lead before the half.  The second half was a lot of back and forth in the middle of the field.  They did manage to score a third TD which made me a little nervous, until they blocked a punt and scored with about 6 minutes left.  That put them up 42-21 and sealed the game.  I was already up putting up my flags, so I could be ready to go by the time the game ended.

    I love having the banners and flags all over the field and stands, because at the end of the game, I can be on the track down by the players, which is great, to see them celebrating and dancing around at eye level.  It is a different view from down on the field when those boys hit each other, it is another level of real, as they hit and slide to a stop, from ground zero.

    I do have to add that it was such a cold game, the wind blew all game long.  It wasn't freezing, but being out there, and maybe because it was the first cold days, at least where I have had to be outside, I just didn't think of a jacket, and I went in shorts.  The only saving grace, was that we keep a couple of small blankets in the car, so I was able to wrap my legs, but the wind still blew in every crack it could get into.  I have never been gladder to get into the car and turn on the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment