Sunday, October 23, 2022

10/23/22 Are We Acting Old?

     Last night, I was still recovering from our fantastic meal at Pappadeaux, but my sister started posting pictures of them out at Six Flags Fiesta Texas.  I know that ten years ago, this is the time we would have no doubt been out there, with them.  Her boys were even running around in masks totally immersed in the Halloween theme.  In theory, I love the idea of running around the park, with family enjoying ourselves on these cool fall nights.  The reality, though, is that I would rather be home, laying down, not worried about having to drive home tired and sleepy.

    Our son, who has always acted about five years older than he is, spent the evening working on a big mid semester project, writing a ten-page essay on Hamlet.  I know even just asking if he would have wanted to go out there, he would have instantly said no, especially with no girlfriend, with her being busy out of town with her family.  It made even more sense to be home, so he would have the time to focus on his paper, even if he wasn't 100% working on the paper, I didn't want to be the reason he wasn't getting it done.

    The other reason I wonder if we are just acting old or being old, is that I called mom and asked why it was so quiet around her, usually the grandkids are being little loud shits all around her.  She said our one niece was out on a date, and my brother was inside his house, probably watching baseball, they are obsessed with it, something I just don't get, it should be over, this is the football season.  There is no more family effort of "Hey, let's go meet at Fiesta Texas!"  My dad and other brother wouldn't care to go, now my brother with his daughter in college doesn't have the same drive to be outside the house, their younger kid is a homebody, very much like Mijo.  Boy and his girlfriend might actually enjoy going, but only if they are going with their friends, not with family, so we are left in a weird position of going for our own sake, and that is something I can very easily pass on.  Maybe next year things change, if we have no more football in our lives, maybe we'll be looking for trips to Fiesta Texas just to get out of the house.

    I keep thinking there will be another boat in my life, we just need to get to a point where we are not focused on something so time consuming as Mijo being a jock.  Maybe we are getting old and having a boat might be too much of a pain in the ass, that I won't even want to mess around with one, even if we can afford it and have the time for it.  Maybe we are just getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment