Tuesday, October 11, 2022

10/10/22 Second Pellet Grill Rocks?

     I have not given an update on my second pellet grill, and I have to say, this one is working much better than the first one.  This one is a Pit Boss brand Pro Series from Lowe's.  It isn't the biggest or fanciest, but it has been taking care of business now since the spring.  If I remember correctly, I bought it just before the wrestling banquet to smoke two briskets, I said I would provide.  Those two briskets turned out great and pretty much everything else we have done on it has been about as good.

    At this point, we have been sticking to an occasional brisket, maybe once a month, ribs every three weeks, and then fajitas, sausages, burgers, chicken thighs and stuff mixed in most every weekend.  I like to say we grill every weekend, mostly on Sundays, but sometimes we do it on Saturday too.  This past weekend was no exception, we had Mijo's girlfriend hanging out with us while they worked on their college admissions forms with Wife.

    I asked our boy what she would like to eat, as in what kind of meat, maybe chicken, sausage, burgers, and this was a first.  She asked what kind or what cut?  I love this girl; she isn't shy about what she likes and went straight to asking what kind of steaks we were grilling.  My son was a bit confused, to which I told him to ask her if she wanted ribeye or NY strip steaks.  She came back with NY strip, so the girl knows a little something more than "I'll take some chicken..."

    I pretty much cook between 250, for low and slow (briskets, ribs), to a high of maybe 350.  I know I can turn on the heat higher, but then I get a lot of flash fires erupting inside the grill, as the old grease lights up and burns uncontrollably, so I have figured that if I don't turn up the heat too much, it stays under control.

    The steaks are probably the weakest to cook.  I might need to jack up the temperature more, but since we mix in a few different things at the same time, I kind of compromise a bit.  The steaks keep coming out a little medium well to well done, as I am trying to char the outside, but there is a very small "hot spot" on the grill, where the heat is most intense.  It was much easier when we were in Covid, and I would regularly make two steaks for Mijo and myself.  Trying to cook four steaks, with baked potatoes, sausages, hot dogs, and I even had a sirloin steak in there makes for a crowded grill.

    Like I said, everything has been delicious, as it turns out, I am fixing to reheat some of those steak pieces leftover and some of those hot dogs, which I purposely make extra to have food to eat during the week.  I love the convenience of these pellet grills, they make Sunday grilling so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment