Thursday, September 22, 2022

9/22/22 Signs From Above?

     I consider myself atheist, but maybe I am wrong.  This football season has been a pain in the ass with Mijo and keeping him healthy to play football.  He already lost most of August practice, which is fine, he knows the plays and even with missing all that conditioning, he is in better shape than most of the other line men.  Along with that, he also missed the first three games, I believe, it all becomes a blur when you are in the middle of it.  As a parent, nothing really changes, we make the games on time, we move our schedules around, then hope for the best.

    It seemed like we were past the worst of it after last week's game.  Mijo was finally on the field, he was a tad slow, but nothing he can't improve on.  We even had a long weekend to recuperate, they played on Thursday, and even this week is a bye, so they haven't had practice, which is nice to give the boys a break.  All seemed well, except he developed a cyst/boil thing behind his knee on the same leg he has had all his problems.  He really hadn't said anything, instead, we find out Monday when the trainer sends Wife a text and a picture of the infected area.  She called it a staph infection; I just likened it to a boil that needed to be lanced.  I described it to people at work and one of them said it looks like MERSA, which can be deadly, it's how my grandma went, but at that I told her to slow down, he does have an appointment to see a doctor (yesterday at 5:00pm, CVS Minute Clinic).

    The Minute Clinic turned out to be a dud, kind of.  They saw the thing and called it a baker's cyst, which is collected fluid from the knee that pools somewhere else, usually the back of the knee.  The doctor there would not lance it, feeling it was more than he could handle.  I was a little disappointed because to me it still doesn't look like that big a deal and I didn't want to end up in a hospital for this minor looking thing.  Luckily, we had a follow up visit with the orthopedic, to see how he is doing post MRI.  I usually don't like going back to the dc once the injury is healed, but in this case, I hoped it went exactly as it went.

    The doc saw the cyst and immediately began going into a setup for minor surgery.  This must be what doctors live for.  A little poking and cutting to make people feel better.  After gathering the proper gauze, knives, gloves and supplies, they numbed the area with a couple shots, then came back and cut it open.  They kept asking me if I wanted to step out, it might get gory, but I was fine.  There was a lot of blood and crud that came out, after squeezing it as much as he could, the doctor bandaged him up and sent him on his way.

    The doctors (there were two, one was an assistant that did the work) both said he probably won't be able to play next week, but then one said maybe, if the thing scabs over and heals.  I am hoping he can get in there and play, but I understand if he can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment