Monday, September 19, 2022

9/19/22 Bona Fide Fire Alarm?

     This might be the first or second time in the whole time I have been working with this company that I had to evacuate the building on a for real basis.  A few times over the years, we have had the practice evacuation, but this was for real.  There is never a best time for an emergency, but I guess today, when it happened, was about as good as it could have been.  I left work at 5:00pm to go pick up Mijo from school.  This is their bye week, so they are not having practice after school.  Because practice normally goes until after 7:00pm, Wife is the one lucky enough to go pick him up.  This being a much earlier time, I have to leave work and go get him.  Problem was that he was chasing around his little gf, so when I went to go get him, he was busy walking around with her.  I waited for about 10 minutes, then when he said he needed more time, I told him he could then wait for his mom who was going to go to campus and attend the booster club meeting.  I decided to be good and head back to work.

    I went to work, stopped at the bathroom, then ran into a coworker and we stopped to talk in the hallway for 10 minutes or so.  We don't see each other all the time, she is in imaging, I am in chemistry, but we both have been a pain in the butt chasing management for a raise.  It seems we are finally about to get one here in a couple of weeks.

    Anyways, when I headed into the chemistry room, I got some gloves and was all set to start work when a weird flashing light with a siren started wailing.  It was loud enough that I wasn't going to ignore it.  I headed out, my coworker did the same thing.  We went out a door I had never opened before, which was cool.  We then waited about 20 minutes out in the parking lot, then my coworker started making some calls.  We got word the alarm was caused by an air handler up in the attic, but that is all we heard.  It took a few more minutes, but eventually they told us to go back to work.  I went and did all my routine stuff, putting on yet another set of gloves.  I didn't even get to wash these gloves on my hands when the alarm went off again.  Not knowing if it was related to the original one, or a new location, I said "screw it, I am done."

    I decided to leave because two alarms in one day is more than I want to handle.  My thought was "what if it keeps happening?"  I certainly don't want to be hearing the weird alarm high pitch noise all evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment