Monday, November 8, 2021

11/8/21 Is Football For GIrls?

     I have been accused (yet again) of being a misogynist because of my views concerning football.  I stand by my thoughts and beliefs that football is great because there are no excuses to be made.  It is very similar to boxing in that the physically superior specimen will always have the advantage.  One cannot hope to just step on a field against an athlete and expect success.  In as much as it is a game that kids play, there is so much discipline and knowledge that all culminates as the tip of the spear poised as a defender coming at you at full speed and with the aim of stopping your forward progress.

    I won't even name names, but in defending my position against being labeled as a misogynist, I only have to look at my husky 250 pounder who if unleashed even on me, and I weigh close to 400 pounds, there is no denying he would hurt me if he hit me at full speed, I can't imagine a 120-140 pound girl.  I only have to grab my son by the shoulders to feel he is now built as tight compact muscle, he is not the chubby little baby of even 4-5 years ago.  My Dad was amazed as they were leaving when he grabbed him by the biceps at how thick and strong he felt.  I am only propping up my son because that is what I think of when I think of football players.  He has been training since June, either lifting weights to get stronger, or running plays in practice from after school until sundown every day.  Nevermind their record and all that, these boys take a pounding and they do sacrifice their bodies for the love of the game.  Every player on the team that started, missed at least one game because of injuries.  Our boy had the bruised ACL, his good friend who plays tackle had his hand wrapped and played with two broken fingers for about 6 weeks.  Another kid missed a few games for hurting his back.  His other good friend who we give a ride to most every day hurt his neck and his mom told him he was not allowed to play anymore.  There were at least 4-5 kids who missed games from concussions.  Football is brutal and all the cheering for girls to play in the sport will not change it.

    I don't doubt that in the younger ages before boys really start going through puberty, it can be okay for girls to compete, there isn't a huge difference.  Wife played in junior high, and even she says one of her classmates rocked her shit, she still remembers vividly, and he wasn't probably going full speed against her, they were friends and it was practice and Wife has always been a thick husky gal.

    So no, I don't enjoy football because it allows me to be a misogynistic asshole, I love the purity of the game, the coaches have no choice but to put in their best athletes at any given position, and even then, sometimes a lineman lines up just right and will hit a receiver with enough force to make him fly in the air and spin like a helicopter blade.  It isn't that I enjoy seeing people get hurt, I never hope for that, but it is amazing that these players will abuse their bodies to move the ball 1 more yard in their favor.  They are only missing the phrase "Are you not entertained?!?!"  Yes, yes we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment