Sunday, November 14, 2021

11/14/21 What Happened To Our Leisure Activities?

     Are we so directly tied to what our kids do that they define how our lives go?  Back when Boy was the center of our universe, when he was in high school and coming up, he wanted to learn things, to put things together and to experience life through a certain "thinking man's" perspective.  This is turn meant we were going to the bookstores a lot, we even talked about going to libraries, and I was seriously interested in buying tools and knowing their purpose.  He has gone on and built his 3D printer room, gotten his engineering degree (99% of the way there), and still is in that life, he wants to know how things work and he spends his money on books and stuff.

    Fast forward from there, and Baby A is not that guy.  He is a smart kid too, but his interests are very much sports related, so we haven't gone to a bookstore in about two years, he has zero to no interest in any types of tools, and is generally only excited when I talk about getting some new piece of sports equipment, such as when we got the squat rack awhile back.  These two boys could not be more different in how they spend their free time.

    I keep wanting a boat, I know it's a tired song, but the reality is that with his schedule, we couldn't fit time to enjoy it, even if I went out of Wife's gaze and bought one behind her back.  Football just ended and I thought that took all our free time with workouts all week and even into the weekend.  Wrestling doesn't seem to be any different.  This week is the first week and it starts Wednesday with weigh-ins in the evening.  I am still unsure how that will take so much time, but it is a scheduled activity.  We then have some sort of tournament next weekend that will go on Friday and Saturday.  I still don't know if Mijo will wrestle both days or if one day is for JV and the other is for Varsity.

    Either way, this goes on through January, fitting the holidays all around it.  It culminates with three weeks of meets in February, District, regionals and then the State meets.  I don't know how far our son will get into the season, but it is a quick intensive schedule, minus the holidays.

    He is already talking about either track and field or even more interesting, powerlifting in the spring after wrestling, so I don't think we will have much of a break as far as free time to enjoy going out to the lake.  Next year is his senior year, maybe once he hits college, we can slow down like we have with Boy.  It is not something I really want, I do like spending time with my kids, but man, I do have interests too.  It would be nice to flip the script and have the little shitters say "oh, we have to go do dad's activity this week, we're going fishing down on the coast."  Yeah right, life doesn't work that way, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment