Friday, November 26, 2021

11/26/21 Early Thanksgiving At My In-Law's?

     Thanksgiving has come and gone and all I am left with is a gassy reminder of some delicious food.  We got together earlier than normal so Boy could make it back to Austin before the sun went down.  He was technically "on call", although I am not sure what that meant, the few times I was "on call" I had to stay in town in case I needed to go in to work.  But anyways, we left the house around 10:45am and got there by 12:30am.  The traffic was about as light as it has been since Covid had everybody really scared and stuck at home.  We managed to drive around 80 most of the way which makes the trip go by fast.  It was nice to have the four of us together in the car, much like old times, even if the boys do both put in headphones and play their video games as soon as we take off.

    In the past, the meal has been a crowded affair with Wife's siblings all showing up along with a cousin or two, but this year, her brother and his thousand kids did not show, he was working and wouldn't be out until after 6:00pm.  The older sister and her husband and their part of the family was there, along with the younger sister, her man, and their two boys were there and then my mother and father in law.  The food was good, as it always is, my younger brother in law is a BBQ master, he is outside grilling every time we go, and this time he smoked a smaller turkey which was probably the best tasting thing I ate yesterday.  The stuffing was equally as good, and of course the desserts all kicked ass.

    Although we were all there together, it felt like a disjointed meal, the older sister and her part of the family (hubby, step daughter, her hubby, and her 2 kids) all ate in the family room, we ate at the big formal table with Wife's parents, and then the younger sister and her family (hubby, older son, his girlfriend, younger son) ate at the secondary table in the living room.  It was fine, it just wasn't hectic like it usually is with people running in and out at the last minute.

    We probably ate before 1:00pm, and were out the door by 3:30pm.  I have learned not to fight my urges, Wife is as good a driver as I am, so I let her take the wheel.  I managed to stay awake for about 20 minutes, but was out before we got on I-35.  I woke up just as we were about to get into Austin, I love that, missing the whole long boring part.  We got home as it was getting dark, Boy ran in, got his overnight bag, and left to his girlfriend's house.  I think that was his real hurry to be back in town early, but whatever.

    We were in the house before 6:00pm and all I managed to do the rest of the night was nap, fart, and watch Tiktoks.  I was even too full to snack later in the evening, even with a whole bag of leftover turkey and sides.  It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment