Wednesday, October 20, 2021

10/20/21 To Be Young?

     I got in late last night, but Boy came down to get his lunch ready and as I usually do, I asked him about his day.  He said he got contacted by an old coworker who wanted him to apply for a job with his company.  He had mentioned this company before, they are making electric bikes and possibly other mobile devices.  On the surface, I wouldn't think leaving his "grown up job" with the giant semiconductor company in the area is a very smart thing, specially that he just got a promotion and is now an exempt engineer working in what I assumed is a good to great matching job for him.  He is considering the idea of leaving, he said he sent his friend his resume, they have two jobs for engineer and one for a higher level engineer that he thinks he could do.  The temptation is great, and the fact that they are offering a higher pay than his current position is certainly going to make it interesting, but should he?

    As much as I like the stability of where he is, I am looking at things from the eyes of a 50 year old who wants a job that will not go away.  He is 27 and very much trying to make moves to further his career.  I have told him that if he wants to throw caution to the wind, this is the time to do it.  He is still living at home, so if he ends up losing his job, he won't have to worry about his mortgage payment or car payment as his SUV is currently paid for.  If I look at it from his vantage point, it does seem exciting to be "wanted" by another company and he says he would be doing more of what he finds interesting and he is more passionate about, something about working with circuit boards and stuff.  Right now he says he spends his days assembling wire harnesses for large systems that need to be wired and all that is done in house, but he says it is rather boring.

    I would have thought he would be enjoying his current job more since his close friend from high school is now working in the same department with him, but they are both nonchalant about their endeavors.  I guess for me, I wouldn't be stirring the boat too much and I would just be happy to have the job he has, but he seems to think he should strike while the iron is hot.  If it does mean another $15,000 raise, I say go for it, I mean he can always re-apply with his current company if it doesn't work out, maybe.  That is part of the journey, we don't know what tomorrow brings, but they do say "fortune favors the bold."  Maybe these are the moves that will lead him to a more successful path than I have had.  I wish Mijo the best of luck.  With the current house prices, he needs to be getting paid a lot more money than I make.

No comments:

Post a Comment