Saturday, October 16, 2021

10/15/21 Advice From Other Preppers?

     I have been all proud of myself and being more vocal than normal about my new hobby/passion, not sure what it should be labeled at this point, lifestyle?  This idea of being a doomsday prepper and having supplies at the ready in case we do come upon some emergency.  My thought is not to brag about it, but I want people I care about and that are in my life to be prepared.  I have mentioned it to coworkers, family and the few friends I still talk to, but even at some stores, I have caught myself talking about buying things for if it ever gets bad out there, mostly while looking at guns and considering what would be best for home defense.

    Well, after seeing a couple more videos, I have pretty much been told to shut up.  It actually does make sense, to some degree.  Their idea is that you don't want the neighborhood to know that you are fully stocked because in the event of society breaking down, they will know you have things stocked and although people are lazy and don't buy things to prepare, they will do whatever it takes once their loved ones need something to survive.  It is a very shitty human trait, they won't prepare, but when they need something, they will consider taking your stuff, to make their life better.  The preppers on Youtube suggest it is better to be a "grey man", don't do anything to stick out and make you a target.  Instead, wear generic clothing, nothing fancy, just what will make you blend in and not make you get noticed.  this way, you don't put a target on yourself.

    I don't personally believe an emergency situation will be worse than another freeze, it might even last longer than last years, but I am not ready to accept that we will have a societal breakdown and we will resort to violence upon our neighbors.  My preparations are to simply survive a 1-2 week "stuck at home" situation, either because of a freeze or because our idiot president thinks it will help Covid19.  

    At this point, I have most of the basics covered, I would want a couple more gallons of lamp oil to run my hurricane lamps, and maybe buying a couple 20 pound tanks of propane and storing them somewhere in the backyard or garage, if it is allowed, not sure.  I need a couple more 5 gallon containers of water, for good measure, but we have Lifestraws, we could technically suck water from the creek and drink it or probably from the pool with them.

    I will keep pestering my family members though, like I have said, we are not poor and the modest cost of these basic supplies should not be the reason you weren't ready this time around should another freeze arise.  Maybe it doesn't happen, but how foolish will you look if you are caught another week without power and you have to tell people "I didn't learn anything from the first time this happened, now my kids are freezing, mostly because I am an idiot."  I saw those Mr. Heater units at Home Depot and Academy yesterday, they are easily available right now, and cost $79.  Amazon has some for $95, but it gets delivered to your door.

No comments:

Post a Comment