Tuesday, October 12, 2021

10/12/21 How Long Does It Take To Become A Responsible Adult?

     I constantly have the discussion with Wife about some of these youngsters we know and how she frets and fumes when she sees them making bad decisions.  I agree with her, but I also understand that it takes time to get to the point of being mature enough to make the right decisions.  We constantly notice on her  Snapchat or Girlie tells me that she is going on yet another trip and we are always wondering "where does the money come from?"  This weekend for example, she is flying to California for some bachelorette thing, some friend of hers is getting married.  It all sounds great, but she was unemployed for about a month, just started a new job, is taking a full load of classes, and has told me she is behind on most of her bills.  Still, she finds a way and it has nothing to do with me, I am not supporting that lifestyle, I don't even agree she should be traveling, she should be focused on her classes and internships, she is down to a handful of classes to finish and graduate.  That should be her only priority.

    As much as that bothers Wife, and it bothers her because we have known her since she was like 3-4 and we do honestly care for her and want to see her succeed.  I then tell Wife it is not much different than Boy, who yet again was off to Dallas this past weekend because another friend of his bought a house and they were having a house warming party.  Again, great!  I don't have a problem with Mijo doing whatever they do on the weekends, but he should be saving his money for the more important goal of trying to buy a house.  He has a two week trip planned for Japan in March.  I think it is stupid to be doing this, it is going to cost him several thousand dollars, even if the plane tickets were only $250.  But again, he is in his 20's and he is allowed to make his own decisions.  The only thing I did bring up to him is "Don't tell us moving out is a priority if this is what you are doing.  This will most certainly slow your plans of buying a house another 6-12 months."  I am not in a rush for him to move out, but he likes to mention it once in a while, that he wants his own place.

    Shit, we can look at ourselves and we are no better.  We managed to get ourselves well over $100,000 in debt from the time we got married until about 4-5 years ago when we decided we needed to make some changes.  We are finally set up to go in the right direction and even have surplus money to put away in our savings, but none of our journey has been easy.  We all want to do the fun stuff, we all want to be free, we want to travel, I miss going to Disney every summer like we did for about 7-8 years, but that trip cost us close to $5000 every year.  I want new trucks and boats, but stuff like that will certainly not help put money in our savings.  The only reason I haven't just gone out and gotten a new truck is because I can finally take a breath and think above my wants.  It is hard because my ego says I am a man and I should be driving a new truck, but to what end?  A younger me would have said "Wife shouldn't be the only one with a new SUV, I want my new vehicle too."  With maturity, I can reason that the Telluride is ours and not just hers.  We are a team and working together is how we will get ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment