Monday, October 11, 2021

10/11/21 Butane Stove?

     Like I said a couple days ago, I have gotten into prepping for the worst and that means we have had to buy some items so we can survive in the event we become disconnected from society, such as we lose power or our city water supply becomes contaminated.  I know these things sound far fetched, but this did happen last year during the freeze, so it is possible that it happens again.  We have been warned that because Texas is independent of the rest of the country in how it operated its power sources, we can more easily end up without power as we did during the ice storm.  This was a mixed a bag of situations for many.  My parents were without power for more than four days, and they were just too far away for us to help in any way.  We were fortunate in that we lost power for maybe 30 minutes total, I don't know how.  We heard even here in our community, houses on the other side were without power, but we were mostly good.  That is not to say that will always be the case.  On top of that, we did have to resort to boiling our water for a couple days, so that is something I have prepared for now.

    I just went on Amazon and ordered a small butane fuel stove, which I would recommend everyone to do.  I have been all proud of myself for buying a bunch of bags of charcoal and dozens of propane cylinders to run small heaters and a Blackstone griddle, but the reality is if it is freezing, I don't really want to be messing around outside.  I was listening to some doomsday preppers on Youtube and they did suggest getting a butane stove.  The big caveat is it must be rated to use indoors, they are not all the same.  I am also not sure why butane is preferred to propane, but when in Rome...

    Either way, we are still months away from a first potential freezing event, so now is when y'all should be preparing.  The stove I ordered was $60 from Chef Master and even comes with four 8oz butane cylinders.  The notes say the stove will run for up to 4 hours on one cylinder at the lowest setting.  I went ahead and ordered another four cylinders to have at least 8.  I don't know what is the right amount, but I figured if we have the space, I will just put them on the shelves with my little propane cylinders.  Better to have something and not need it than need it and not have it.  It is not an expensive item and could make life a lot easier if we find ourselves without power for an extended amount of time.

    Thinking things through, I have already bought a carbon monoxide detector, so if I ever start using these gas products in the house, I will have that to keep us protected from the unseen dangers of burning gasses in the house.



No comments:

Post a Comment