Wednesday, March 3, 2021

3/3/21 Solving Problems One Step At A Time? (Part 2 of 2)

     Sunday morning I got up extremely early, I was downstairs making coffee before 7:00am.  After napping on and off from 8:00pm until midnight, we went upstairs to bed and then I wasn't sleepy.  We both stayed up watching Tiktok videos and just catching up.  Baby A even came in the room at one point, the door was open because I was trying not to run the A/C and I had some windows open trying to keep it comfortable.  He came in asking if we could buy him a video game for his PS4 or XBOX.  This boy just does not ever ask for anything, I can't tell him no.  I gave him my card and he ordered some $9 game.

    After getting up super early, I made some cinnamon rolls, the little tubes that pop when you twist them, and enjoyed my cup of coffee with two of them.  I watched Youtube until I got bored, around 10:00am and headed back up to try and wake Wife.  She was up, but not ready to get out of bed.  We laid in bed, rolled around together, you know, then I napped for another hour and we finally got up when she suggested we go to Covert Ford to look at a couple of used cars.  Not having anything better to do, I said sure.  We woke Baby A, got ready and took off.  It was fine, just cloudy and cool at the house, but it was misting hard by the time we got there.  I would almost call it a full on rain, but we kept going, walking the lot.  I was so easily distracted by the F-250s splattered here and there, they have like 30 in their used inventory, but the two that I liked were still over $50 and $60,000 used and with a bit of miles.

    Just as we were walking back to our car, the sales guy had even started walking away from us, I noticed a blue what I thought was an Ecosport, exactly like the one Boy crashed a couple months ago.  It was actually an Escape, which is a little bigger.  It looked too new, the paint was still bright and shiny, even with all the mist.  It has new tires, so it looked good, just as I was figuring he would say it was over $20k, he said this is the perfect car for your son.  It is a 2013, and it is only $11,800.  I was waiting to see the inside be a disappointment, with torn seats or something, but even after he said 2013, the leather seats looked brand new, they didn't even have the worn wrinkles on the side.  The guy said it was a Titanium, which means it is loaded with all sorts of options.  It has auto start from the keyfob, leather, a panoramic sunroof, a large screen with back up camera and sensors.  I even asked for the carfax report surely it had been in a car accident or something.  There were no problems indicated, so we kind of fell in love and test drove it.

    Wife then suggested I offer $10,000.  We did, but the guy tried doing the hard sell, showing us on paper that he needed to add taxes and all that other stuff, bringing it up to almost $13,000.  He really wanted us to finance, suggesting we just pay a huge down and make payments for four years.  I told him I didn't want payments and we weren't coming in to buy, we were just looking.  He then asked what payment would I really accept.  I said maybe I could swallow $11,000, but I wasn't going to go all the way to $13,000.  He came back with $11,348 or something like that.  I considered it a win because it was less than what the car was selling for.  I don't know if it could have been brought down more, but just the fact Wife and I had talked about almost getting a $21,000 car the night before made this seem like a steal.  We only test drove it around the block, we didn't get it on the highway, it was misting bad and it was almost empty of gas, I didn't want to take a chance and run out.

    This does seem like the perfect car for Mijo to start learning on, it is a very nice looking car, other than the age of it, it seems perfect.  My plan is that this is for learning, once he goes to college, we'll look at upgrading him.  Paying for it cash means we don't have to worry about a payment adding to our monthly total, so that is win win in my quest to move down the line and get myself a new something sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment