Tuesday, March 16, 2021

3/16/21 Finally, TIme To Fix Things?

     I feel pretty good about my abilities right about now.  I managed to fix both a problem on my Excursion and my beloved pellet grill.  I know Amazon is now the devil with their leaning towards these communists trying to run the country and ban books, but man, I can't help get things done by ordering stuff on there to fix things.  My Excursion's right front blinker had gone funky the last couple months.  I tried fixing it by bending the wires, it seems the old age of the socket led the metal to loose solid contact with the light bulb.  I kind of fixed it for a time by bending it in and forcing contact with the bulb, but after awhile this fix stopped working.  On top of that, I had glanced at the socket and ordered one that looked kind of like it.  The questions and comments said it worked on some Fords, so I took a chance.  Those parts did not work, the socket only had two clips to grab the housing and the one I have has three.  This time, I looked at it carefully, took a bunch of pictures, which helped because after making sure the clips were in the correct position, I still almost ordered one with the locking clip on the opposite side.  After making sure, the pictures online exactly matched the pictures I took, I ordered my part Sunday night.  At the same time, I ordered a new ignitor coil and temperature probe for my grill.  I am on Spring Break this week, so I had time on Sunday, as I said to take the grill pretty much completely apart.

    I had all day and nothing to do, of course, the parts didn't show up until 6:30pm and as soon as I got the packages and got excited to go outside to work, my stomach decided I needed to go poop.  Another hour later, I also showered, I was ready to work, but now it was dark, but I was already set in my head that I was going to do this.  I put on my forehead light and went to work.  I had managed to get the Excursion part installed in about five minutes, at this point, I have already opened that signal light thing about 4-5 times, so it was easy to do.  The grill was more of a challenge, but I started with the temperature probe on the side of the grill wall, away from everything else.  It was easy enough and the part looked pretty identical to the one I removed.  After this, I just worked in reverse order, starting with the innermost part, the ignitor coil on the burn box.  I ran the new wire through the opening as the youtube video showed, then I tied down the screw.  I was a little worried about the wire not being as long as the original, but it was long enough.  After this, I just worked out, adding all the accessory metal parts until I ran out of screws.  This took me more than an hour, and I was not 100% sure this would fix the problem, but the two errors I have seen were related to the temperature probe, ER2, and the ignitor coil, ER5.  I filled the hopper with pellets while Wife ran to get some Popeye's Chicken, then we ate while I ran a test run, seeing what temperature it would get to at LOW, when it would normally read 440.  It got to 428, which is close enough for me.  I loved not seeing either error code on the screen, and I will probably order another temperature probe to have a back-up.  The ignitor coil came in a package of two, so I have a back-up for that, and I even have two more auger motors which I ordered when I had problems with that.  There aren't many other parts on the grill, I haven't messed with, I guess there is a fan that makes it a convection oven, and I might have to replace that later, but as hard as I have run this grill, I am not surprised I am having to replace parts like this already.  These parts were both about $10 a piece, so better this than to be out shopping for a new grill.  Plus, it feels great knowing I can fix things.

No comments:

Post a Comment