Sunday, March 14, 2021

3/14/21 Preparing For Our First Vacation Trip In A Year?

     I am hesitant of the idea, but we will be heading out to our first vacation trip in over a year to Corpus Christi.  I don't know that it is fear over Covid-19 more than just becoming a homebody and I really just like being home.  We are doing this for a couple of reasons, first, I don't feel like we have done half as much with Baby A than we used to do with Boy.  Back when Boy was a teen, we had the boat and RV and we seemed to constantly be on the move doing this or that.  Boy still lives at home, but he mostly does his own thing with his gf and rarely joins us as a family.  That is fine, I am happy we still see him most every day, even if he doesn't join us.  Secondly, my folks ,sister and her family will be going to Corpus Christi, so we will have a chance to see and hang out with them.

    My parents still have an RV and the plan for them is to leave their RV for the summer months.  They are splitting the rent on the RV site with my sister, so it is not such a big burden.  This kind of makes me want to go and get another RV, but I know from history that owning one is a major pain in the ass.  It is fone when it is being used, but leaving it on the coast means it will have a lot of rust anywhere rust can form after the summer session.  There is then the problem of storing it and keeping an eye on it.  One year we had one of our units in storage and some junky jerk-offs tried breaking into it while we were on vacation in Florida.  All they managed to do was break the door lock and one of the windows.  They weren't able to get in it, but it was still a pain to deal with.  We ended up with a new door and window, and I don't believe the new door ever really fit right.  The first unit we had developed a leak around the door and the wood around it on the floor rotted and it cost us thousands to get out of it and into the 2nd unit.  With the rules here in Austin, it is really hard to keep a unit on your property, so you have to pay for storage and then with the unit not being close by, maintenance falls behind, at least it did with me.

    Anyways, as far as the trip this week, we went out and bought some new clothes yesterday, mostly shirts and I bought some collapsible fishing rods I can carry in a backpack, since we might end up going in our Ford Escape, Wife doesn't want to get sand in her Telluride.  Either way, I guess I am a little excited at the idea of checking out the beach, the fishing is going to be rough after the freeze killed so many fish, but I guess we will still try.  I know going to vacation with my folks is going to mean eating out most of our meals and that is okay, but like I said, I am really used to being home and just making and eating food at home.  This reminds me, I really need to figure out what is wrong with my pellet grill, I haven't used it in almost two weeks and that is really sucking.  I miss eating my steaks for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment