Wednesday, December 6, 2017

12/6/17 Javalina's Fall Recital?

"    Tonight was Javalina's fall band recital at his school.  They were originally going to split it, having the 6th graders play tonight and the various 7th and 8th grade bands play on Thursday.  I think it would have been better, at least for the crowd.  It was the first time all the bleachers in the gym were used.  People were also standing along the walls and everywhere they could fit.  As a result, it became very warm by the time the last bands played.  I'm not sure if it was from the heaters or just too many humans in one room.  It was nice to escape from there afterwards to the cool night air.
    My folks came up for the concert.  It was nice, now that my mom is retired again, they have theoretically more time to hang out up here, but of course they have to be in Crystal in case my sister needs help making toast, or my brother forgets where the fridge is.  I don't understand why they won't stay longer, but probably has something to do with my ranking below the dog in favorite son, maybe.
    Either way, it was a good afternoon.  My folks were here just in time to pick up Javalina after school, my Mom came along and we went and ate at Whataburger.  This was almost too much food, I did not want to get home and go shower and dressed up.  Wife got home as we were finishing eating at Whataburger, so she decided to just meet us at home.  She knows how to run around, she left Monday morning to a meeting in San Antonio, slept in Crystal, went to work in La Pryor and was back in Austin before 5:00pm Tuesday.  She will be heading back in the morning, but she is giving me the option to have breakfast with her, if I want.  We shall see.
    I don't think Javalina is a band geek, he doesn't seem into it like I was.  He does the absolute minimum, but he did perform and alone at that.  They have several bands which I didn't understand why they are making each band so small.  His band, the symphonic band, for example, has 1 alto sax, 1 bari sax, no tenors, 1 trumpet,  and the same thing in the other bands.  1 trumpet sounds sad.  There should be at least three trumpets to give it that big majestic sound.
    We ended the night eating at Javalina's favorite place, the Crawfish Boil place where we get to enjoy those Cajun fries.  We all kept it simple, opting for the shrimp po boys and teas.  Wife even managed to get Boy on the phone and we got him a shrimp po boy too.  I feel so much more at ease with my new manager, he is not a micromanager, and he doesn't seem to have a problem if we need to be out for a while.  I love being trusted, it's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment