Thursday, December 14, 2017

12/14/17 The More Skill You Show, The More Work They Assign You?

    I am realizing lately that I am working harder than I ever have before.  If not for the pay cut and the barren land of no overtime in months, I would be quite happy.  I am in a pretty good group, I am not saying anyone is stupid around me, those of us left, have survived as many as ten layoffs over the years, so we are mostly a good hard working group.  I guess my complaint, not that I am complaining, is that for all my abilities to learn the next part of my job, is all just leading me into a painted corner.  The more techniques I learn, the easier it is to be assigned so and so and make sure and try to get this done.  I remember when I started, I would just sit at the tool and run samples, now I can run most of the stuff I have been trained on and so guess who is being spun like a top every night?
    In comparison, if one is inept, my experience until recently, was that you just get moved to where you can do the least damage.  It is like I see everywhere, even at home.  Boy sucks at cutting the grass, leaves strips where he doesn't get to with the mower, and the trimmer doesn't even make it out unless I am right on top of him.  I can tell the difference now that I have been doing it the last few weeks, it just looks sharper.
    I guess I like that I can be trusted at work, what I am doing is not hard, but it is not for everybody either.  When I started, the smallest details were caught, such as not wearing gloves correctly in the acid hoods, the data would show higher readings of Na, sodium.  We have to act like we are in a clean room environment without actually being in one.  We do all sorts of wafers for many different customers, as well as liquids, and other solid objects.  Our tools can tell you if there are trace metals you don't expect to find.  I am sort of locked in with the wafers section, helping my trainer and mostly easing her load.  It has been a long period of training, and I am sure there is still a ton of stuff I don't know, but that won't keep my nights from being busy to the hilt.  My trainer did say this might be a push from the requestors to get their projects done before the Christmas break coming, so maybe it'll be a tad more relaxing after the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment